Mud Dauber Cache

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcepstein

Mud Dauber Cache

Post by Marcepstein »

Im going through old files that were taken some years ago. Mud daubers are common around our area and we have to clear nest periodically. I do not know the species; Organ pipe mud dauber was suggested? One spider looks like a Spotted Orbweaver (Neoscona domiciliorum). Additional information on them at: https://theinsectguide.com/organ-pipe-mud-dauber/

Images were taken with the Canon 1DM1V, snapshots of the nest were taken with the Canon ef 100mm f2.8 macro and the close ups with the Canon MP-E65mm Macro lens. Post process in Bridge, Photoshop and Zerene. You can see the larval daubers in various stages, some consuming the spiders (movement blur) as images were taken. Zombie spiders might make a good subject for close-ups.

Mud-Dauber-nest----6967.jpg
Mud-Dauber---6909-11.jpg
Retouched-dauber-cache-2023-01-14-06.38.jpg
Final-dauber-close--2023-01-14-06.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Re: Mud Dauber Cache

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very cool! Those are first-rate documentations. I don't see so many of these. Here is a video about their life cycle, but this is a different species. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nksk15l_3lc
Organ pipe mud dauber males can guard a nest while the female is away. The males put on a bit of a show when alarmed, but they cannot sting. I think females are non-aggressive to being closely photographed at the nest, as other solitary wasps are (even huge cicada killers are only curious and otherwise indifferent when I hang out right next to their nests), but I have no experience with nesting mud daubers. Still, they will be entertaining to watch, for one thing bc their nests are often parasitized by other insects. Look out for Tachinid flies that lurk at the nests, watching every move as the female comes and goes, for example.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

AlP

Post by AlP »

Nice images and you had me intrigued about mud daubers, I've never heard of them. Yesterday, I photographed an insect I caught in a sweep in southern Alberta last August. To my surprise it is a Common Blue Mud-dauber - Chalybion californicum. Too spooky.

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Thanks for the comments! The video link was nice.

AIP
Yesterday, I photographed an insect I caught in a sweep in southern Alberta last August. To my surprise it is a Common Blue Mud-dauber - Chalybion californicum. Too spooky.
AIP, This might be a record for that species! The range map at https://www.idigbio.org/portal/search barely shows them north of the lower 48.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Some years ago I was inspecting the web of a funnel spider, when along came a metallic blue mud dauber hunting for spiders. The spider was not there for some reason, but without hesitation the wasp tore thru the web like it was nothing, tearing deep into the funnel in search of her prey.
I had not fully realized how out-classed spiders are against these terrors. They don't stand a chance.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

AlP

Post by AlP »

AIP, This might be a record for that species! The range map at https://www.idigbio.org/portal/search barely shows them north of the lower 48.
Too funny. The provincial museum called me this morning wanting my specimen for their collection. Apparently this species is here but very rarely seen.

Bob-O-Rama

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

Honestly I never really thought too much about what was inside those things. Very interesting and nicely photographed. I'm thinking they would also make for a great timelapse subject.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic