Zinnia

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcepstein

Zinnia

Post by Marcepstein »

The Zinnia flower made a nice subject to photograph.

Zinnia-4-2022-11-30.jpg
Zinnia-4c-2022-11-30.jpg
Zinnia-4b-2022-11-30.jpg

klevin

Re: Zinnia

Post by klevin »

Nice! Especially the second one.

Care to describe how you did the photos? Equipment? Stacking?

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Hi Klevin, thanks for the comments. Camera body is a Canon EOS 1DMIV. I shot these at ISO 100 using a Canon EF100mm f2.8 macro with extension tubes and the close up with the Canon EF MP-e65. Lighting used was a Canon macro twin lite mt-24ex, with the light diffusers wrapped with Polyethylene EPE Foam Sheets (packing sheets). I also use circular polarizing filters on the lenses. I put some reflective material around the base to help with the lighting. All shots were taken using a focusing rail to stack focus. I am incrementing focus by hand but have the camera setup with continous mirror-up and a 10 second timer between shots to help with vibration. Im shooting the images in RAW and (now) saving in TIFF format 16bit (after reading a few articles by Rik and C. Krebs (very helpful). I used Zerene Stacker and Photoshop 6 to process the images. That’s pretty much it.

Thanks again :!:

klevin

Post by klevin »

Does the Canon EOS utility work with your model? Back when I had a Canon 70D, I used it to manually do stacks in a controlled fashion. Later I moved to an app which automated the process but that was a few years ago, and on a previous computer. I had good results using internal focusing of the 100mm L macro, even with extension tubes. I now use a Canon M6ii, which automates the stacking process. Well worth the investment, IMHO, and works well with the 100L macro via an adapter.

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

The M6ii sounds like a nice camera. Something that I’ll have to consider more. The 1dm1v doesn’t have an internal stacking process nor does it work with the apps like magic lantern. I do have a Camranger on the want list tho.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very well done!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic