90 Minutes Difference - Decon 90 Update

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

90 Minutes Difference - Decon 90 Update

Post by AlP »

Nuthin' fancy. Tiger beetle, 5x, 76 steps at 80µm, cleaned in an ultrasonic then shot slightly wet. Second image, ninety minutes later. I put beetle in Decon 90 overnight as an experiment which I'll shoot later today.
tiger beetle 5x copy 1024.jpg
Freshly cleaned.
Tiger beetle 5x 76 steps 80µm copy 1024.jpg
Ninety minutes later.
Last edited by AlP on Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

wwheeler48

Re: 90 Minutes Difference

Post by wwheeler48 »

It will be interesting to see Decon 90 results on the eyes. The drying effect was subtle but clear improvement.

lothman

Post by lothman »

=D> curious about the Decon 90 result.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

interesting story, the tension is rising :-)

AlP

Re: 90 Minutes Difference - UPDATE

Post by AlP »

Well, I left this Tiger beetle in a solution of 80% water/20% Decon 90 overnight for 19 hours. I pulled it out and gave it a quick rinse (60 seconds) in an ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water. I left it to air dry for 8 hours. I pinned it, er, attached it to a #000 entomology pin with $ store "crazy glue". I put specimen in my holder and it fell off. So, lesson learned. Note to self, by real cyanoacrylate glue. Disregard crud and missing parts. I guess the question is, was the specimen left in too long or not long enough? I personally think it comes down to the specimen being eye revitalized as different insects will have a different reaction in Decon 90 and times will have to be adjusted accordingly.
Tiger beetle 5x 29 steps 80µm Decon 90 copy 1024.jpg
Specimen at 5x, 29 steps at 80µm.

wwheeler48

Post by wwheeler48 »

Well, the eyes have it (sorry couldn’t resist). They look good, the “upper lip” looks kind of greasy and lost it at least 2 legs so what is important. I wonder if you could put a tiny dab just on the eyes. I think Allan Walls recommends about a 1% solution, too. So it’s an iterative process. Thanks for doing this and sharing.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Great result !

AlP

Re: 90 Minutes Difference - Decon 90 Update

Post by AlP »

Yes, it did improve the eyes but... the colour of the insect has gone crazy. This is what it should look like. Originally entomologist John Acorn (author of Tiger Beetles of Alberta: Killers on the Clay, Stalkers on the Sand) gave me several Tiger beetle specimens so I could try out my new Wemacro rail. The specimens were dry, not immersed in alcohol. After shooting/testing I placed them in 70% ethyl alcohol where some have remained for the last four years.
tiger beetle 4x 50 stack copy 1024.jpg

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi,
Thanks for sharing
I have used the Decon 90 on an insect earlier and what a result

Love that stuff!
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

marcojongsma

Post by marcojongsma »

can i ask you what the process is ? time? how long to dry or shoot wet ?
i hope to learn from diffrent options..
i try many insects with decon 90 but im not happy about the results the eyes not restore.
i pin my insects in a tupperware case for 2 days above 97% alcohol it gives me better results than the decon 90
in this post the eyes are perfect restore great job !

Regards,

Marco jongsma

abpho

Post by abpho »

Love that first image. The bettle starts looking crazier and crazier in the subsequent image. :D
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

An interesting discussion.
There is the old thread about restoring eyes a different way: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 91#p228191 This would be by applying specifically to the eyes.
I don't know if immersion of a specimen should necessarily get the hairs to 'behave'. A way to maybe help with that is to go in with a fine needle or teeny hairs and manually comb them back into place.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

AlP

Post by AlP »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:49 pm
An interesting discussion.
There is the old thread about restoring eyes a different way: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 91#p228191 This would be by applying specifically to the eyes.
I don't know if immersion of a specimen should necessarily get the hairs to 'behave'. A way to maybe help with that is to go in with a fine needle or teeny hairs and manually comb them back into place.
Thanx for the info, Mark. Winters are very looong up here. I'll have 5ive months to try various methods. I would assume different insects require a different approach/method.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic