Masdevallia bennettii

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

CarlG

Masdevallia bennettii

Post by CarlG »

Masdevallia bennettii, 1x life.

Canon 5DS, 65mm MP-E, Canon MR-14EX ring light.
ISO 100, f10, 1/125sec.

5 frame stack (2mm frame spacing). Done with hugin-tools; default alignment parameters, l-star gray projector, and 7 pixel contrast window size.
Attachments
Masdevallia_bennettii.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Masdevallia bennettii

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lots of color and depth in that flower!

Evaluating the image, I notice some ghosting -- like two or three copies of an edge, some sharper than others.

This is most evident along the edges of the yellow parts, just above-left of center, and in the purple hairs along the sides of the petal, bottom part of frame.

The most likely causes are (1) real movement of the flower between shots, or (2) apparent movement of the flower caused by changes in lens position as the stack is shot.

I cannot tell from the image which of these causes (or others) is responsible for the ghosting.

For people who are still learning how to do focus stacking, I often recommend to practice on subjects that for sure will not move. Ideally the static subject will have geometric features and complexity similar to the subjects you'll be shooting after you get the process dialed in. In your case I might suggest a pile of small rocks and pieces of bark -- things that will have both crisp features and places where foreground overlaps background.

--Rik

CarlG

Re: Masdevallia bennettii

Post by CarlG »

The most likely causes are (1) real movement of the flower between shots, or (2) apparent movement of the flower caused by changes in lens position as the stack is shot.
You are correct in that assessment. I believe that the problem was the later, as the flower in this case is quite fleshy and held tightly on the flower stem. I need to work on my photographic technique a little, as well as software use.

A lot of small flowers have incredible detail, which is why I'm working on mastering these techniques.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic