Fly Haltere And Calypter

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

Fly Haltere And Calypter

Post by AlP »

Small fly (not yet unidentified) 4mm, nose to butt. Haltere and calypter at 10x, 148 steps at 10µm.
fly 10x 148 steps 10µm copy 1024.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Fly Haltere And Calypter

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nicely done!

I find that complicated anatomy like this looks great in stereo, which Zerene Stacker can make from a single stack as described HERE.

Have you tried that?

--Rik

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Fly Haltere And Calypter

Post by rjlittlefield »

Al, thanks for sending me the source images so that I could work them up as stereo.

Here is the result as crossed-eye stereo:

2022-07-13-22.39.22 ZS stereo_000_crop1_small_fp.jpg

Here is a closer crop:

2022-07-13-22.39.22 ZS stereo_000_crop2_small_fp.jpg

These are plus and minus 3.447%, which given your stack dimensions corresponds to plus and minus 3 degrees, so a total of 6 degrees of stereo separation. This is a little less depth separation than would be seen through a typical stereo microscope, but still lots of depth while being easier to fuse than say 8 or 10 degrees of separation. For the first crop, I adjusted the depth with respect to display monitor surface using the left/right arrow keys in StereoPhoto Maker, so as to place the whole fly behind the monitor surface. The second crop is adjusted differently, so as to place the haltere and calypter closer behind the monitor surface than they would be otherwise. This introduces some "window error" artifacts for the leg and front margin of the wing, but I thought it was a good tradeoff for easier viewing of the haltere and calypter. No retouching, straight from Zerene Stacker PMax.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic