First stack with Finite objective

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ben P Botha

First stack with Finite objective

Post by Ben P Botha »

Tiny fly
Canon 5D Mark 4, 1/160, Raw
Self built led light with paper diffuser.
Leica E2 , 4X Acro, Finite
Butchered microscope stage, Wemarco rail, Aluminum extrusion base
Can be completely dis assembled for travel
Helicon Remote and Helicon focus
8 micron steps, 96 images
Photoshop.

Comment and suggestions would be appreciated.
Vlieg-1024.jpg
setup1024.jpg

Marcepstein

Re: First stack with Finite objective

Post by Marcepstein »

The images look real nice. A question about the camera - I understand it and other canon bodies have a low pass filter. Have you noticed any affect of “smoothing “ in image quality from the low pass filter?

Bob-O-Rama

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

The lighting thing must be impressive when its powered on. Can you talk a little more about it?

-- Bob

Ben P Botha

Post by Ben P Botha »

The Canon 5DM4 sensor does have an anti aliasing filter. I am not a pro but the results are pretty sharp with some sharpening applied.

The led light works very well. Initially used with a thin white paper towel as diffuser. Had sone areas of whites burned out and also some specular highlights. When I used a white sheet of normal printing paper highlights and over exposed areas much better controlled. The white paper also helped to reduce the heat produced by the LEDs and the specimens took much longer to dry out. I also incorporated a switch in the power cable of LED's, much easier to switch on and off. I could manage shutter speeds of up to 200 to 400 of a second with continues lighting.

I have a lot to learn and still a lot of practice required to get the quality of the photos to an acceptable level. I also have to do much more work to get the stacking better. The stacking rig is quite stable and for the amount spend, quite happy with the results.

Another attempt, slightly under exposed and not quite clean.
aa.jpg
Hope this helps,

Regards,
Ben

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic