Azimuth Lens Marking

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

joeyterrill

Azimuth Lens Marking

Post by joeyterrill »

When a lens is marked for optimum azimuth orienting relative to the image sensor, in which direction should the mark be positioned? My assumption would be to align the lens marking vertically from the bottom of the camera through the top. Perhaps instead, the azimuth marking is intended to always be oriented toward the top depending on the orientation of the camera? Or, is in intended to always be oriented along the long axis of the sensor? Thank you in advance for your guidance!

Lou Jost

Re: Azimuth Lens Marking

Post by Lou Jost »

Those are almost always for line scanner lenses, so I think they are meant to be aligned with the linear sensor. If you have a regular sensor, I suppose you should align the lens mark with the most important axis of the subject. But I bet it is not too important. I've never noticed that it made a difference with my marked lenses.

joeyterrill

Re: Azimuth Lens Marking

Post by joeyterrill »

Thank you for the kind response! What lead me to inquire is seeing the the azimuth marking mentioned prominently as a feature in some of the lens tests of the Macro Varon 4.5/85, as well as some of the Rayfact lenses. Despite a significant amount of searching, I've never been able to locate exactly HOW that marking should be oriented—or where the benefit in the image would be seen (greater sharpness, lower CA, increased color fidelity, etc). Again, thank you for the response.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic