Bug of some short at 10x

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jmurphy18

Bug of some short at 10x

Post by Jmurphy18 »

I am learning the hard way about movement and vibration. What was good at 2.5x and 4x is BAD at 10x. I now have 50LB os sand against my old desk and tightened all the bracing on the desk. I added gussets when I went 4x. Now I build a custom stand like my drop rig that allows me to shoot both vertical and horizontal. Much stiffer than on the MDF sheet I was mounted too.
I captured this bug as one of my 1st attempts at 10x that worked after I built the new stand. I do not remember what my daughter told me this bug was. She caught this for here 400 level class a couple years ago and it was in the freezer so she donated it to dad to photo.

Whole bug
DMap le 5-22-064-le 5-22-118-Edit.jpg
Head section
DMap l 10-23-196-l 10-23-564-Edit.jpg
Rear claw. This one I did a Select subject and deleted the background around the claw as it was a blue color..... rather odd as I used a black on black board from Michaels but it showed med blue. Need to find another black background material.
retouched 10x 10-24-002-10x 10-24-285-Edit.jpg
Thanks for looking and HAGD & Weekend!
JohnM

MarkSturtevant

Re: Bug of some short at 10x

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Hello!
This is a plant hopper of some kind. Frog hopper (aka spittle bug) would be my guess, based on the shape. Plant hoppers are jumping insects with sucking mouth parts for feeding on plant sap.
The highlights have blue color, so presumably your lighting tends to that range. Hence the blue-ish background. Adjusting settings could avoid that, but some adjustments of course can result in detectable vibration effects.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Jmurphy18

Re: Bug of some short at 10x

Post by Jmurphy18 »

Thanks so very much Mark! Cool on the plant hopper ID
JohnM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic