Marine amphipod: Caprella erithizon

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rikisub

Marine amphipod: Caprella erithizon

Post by Rikisub »

Image2020-08-02-18.52.17 ZS retouched by Rikisub, en Flickr
ImageCaprella erithizon retrato by Rikisub, en Flickr

Two shots of a male of the Caprellid amphipod Caprella erithizon. First, it's an image of the whole animal at 5x, as it was on branches of the bryozoan Crissularia plumosa, with its large gnathopods outstanding (I think they remember those of the praying mantis). Shot with JML 21 mm and a Sony nex - 6. The second is a portrait of the same male, at 9x with Nikon BD plan 10x. Both were stacked in Zerene. I like the portrait because of those fascinating eyes that can be clearly seen. They are spherical shaped (not like in the other amphipods that I have displayed, where they were hexagonal) and they seem to be included in a large nervous ganglion, in a way of plums in a cake. ¿A primitive compound eye or a very advanced one? Regarding that the compound eyes were already complex in Trilobites, I would think of the second option. Isn't nature amazing?Caprellids seem to have a good sight, and they are unique amongst the Amphipods in that they take care of their offspring, and I can see them often with the babies grabbed or standing on their parent's body.

colohank

Re: Marine amphipod: Caprella erithizon

Post by colohank »

Terrific photos. We should be grateful that things like that aren't eight feet tall and that they don't inhabit pedestrian tunnels.

Rikisub

Post by Rikisub »

:D Well, it was an appropriate subject just after Halloween, wasn't it? The real reason why it is like that is that they have to deal with a lot of predators...

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Nice!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

OioMik

Post by OioMik »

Incredible form of life, and beautiful photo!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic