Shiny Insect Flash Fun

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

Shiny Insect Flash Fun

Post by AlP »

Originally I shot this insect with three diffused Canon 580 EX II's. The specular highlights were brutal. Then I thought, take the diffusers off and point the flashes straight up to the stippled ceiling and bounce the light back down onto the specimen. Not bad (first image). Then I thought, heck, a 600 ws mono light has got to be better. Well, it is tough to do an A/B comparison when the flower welts (requiring specimen being moved). I tried the 600 watt with bare bulb, 7" reflector and a 24" deep dish parabolic softbox at various heights and distances bounced onto the ceiling. I ended up using the parabolic plus using a sheet of wax paper for extra diffusion above the specimen for the second image. What did I learn today? I don't own a shoot through umbrella which probably would have been better for more diffused light spread. Back to more experimenting... images at 3x, 41 steps at 150µm.
Attachments
Shiny Insect 3x 41 steps 150µm 1024.jpg
Shiny Insect 3x 41 steps 150µm  monoblock 1024.jpg

Adalbert

Re: Shiny Insect Flash Fun

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

iconoclastica

Re: Shiny Insect Flash Fun

Post by iconoclastica »

I can see the outlines of the reflected light source (albeit beautifully softened on the carapax in the second image). If I understand you well and your goal is to get rid of these reflections as much as possible, the way to go is to make the light source relatively larger. Think of the beetle as half a silver sphere and ray-trace every point from the centre of the lens. Eventually, the ray should hit the light source. To do so, either move the soft box closer, or get a bigger one. An umbrella is counterproductive since a) the edges retract from the horizon and b) the light escapes from the back, creating secondary light sources where you can't control them.

The second diffuser only comes into the equation when the parts of the back, closest to the canopy, receive too much light compared to the sides. A tunnel or a dome could help there. Alternalively you could use a shooting tent. These come in small sizes too.
--- felix filicis ---

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic