Miscellaneous butterfly eggs

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dmillard

Miscellaneous butterfly eggs

Post by dmillard »

It has been a long time since I've posted on here, so I thought I that I would share these butterfly eggs from last spring. All of these were taken with Mitutoyo M Plan Apo objectives on a Nikon UM-2 Measurescope, with an Olympus super-wide trinocular head (incorporating a 180mm tube lens).

GulfFrit2.jpg
Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae) egg on window screen, 6.75x magnification
I noticed a Gulf Fritillary repeatedly laying eggs on the brick wall and window screen near a south Texas passionvine (Passiflora suberosa) that surprisingly persisted growing up onto our porch until mid-January. My wife was understandably unhappy about me cutting a piece from our screen, so I got an old one from a neighbor who had recently replaced theirs, placed it next to the vine, monitored it routinely, and then cut out a section of the mesh after an egg had been laid so I could photograph it.

Juniper2.jpg
Juniper Hairstreak (Callophrys gryneus) egg on Ashe Juniper (Juniperus ashei) twig, 6.75x magnification
Ashe Juniper trees are tall and numerous in our area, and the eggs of this butterfly are tiny, so collecting them in the field would be a challenging task. I collected several female Juniper Hairstreak butterflies, placed them in a mesh enclosure with juniper branches and a nectar source, and misted it daily with water. After three days, I examined the branches for eggs, and then released the butterflies back at the site where they had been collected

Reakirt2.jpg
Reakirt's Blue (Echinargus isola) egg on bud of Powderpuff vine(Mimosa strigillosa),18x magnification
I digitally blurred the bud to emphasize the structure of the egg.

Saul

Re: Miscellaneous butterfly eggs

Post by Saul »

Beautiful, especially 2nd
Saul
μ-stuff

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Saul wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:21 pm
Beautiful, especially 2nd
Thank you Saul - I am really looking forward to next spring to collect some more Juniper Hairstreak eggs.

David

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Adalbert wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:08 am
very nice :smt041
Thank you Adalbert :)

seta666

Post by seta666 »

I really like the first one, this is certainly on my "to do " list

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

seta666 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:50 am
I really like the first one, this is certainly on my "to do " list
Thank you Javier! I look forward to seeing some superb results when you reach that part of your list :)

Best wishes,
David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic