Jools

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Jools

Post by Olympusman »

Getting ready for Speak Like a Pirate Day. This is the end of the jewellry project, and it brought back a lot of techniques that I used to shoot jewellry when I was a commercial photographer in Phoenix, however, that was on a quaint medium called film. As with all of us, other projects loom, and guldurnit I'm going to master my microtome this winter. Anyway, on with the show...
Bracelet 1.jpg
Locket.jpg
Pendant 1.jpg
This is where my wife made me aware of "Baroque Pearls."
Pendant 2.jpg
Pendant 3.jpg
Pin 1.jpg
Pin 2.jpg
A few notes on what I learned on this project:
If you are using a copy stand, replace all of the lights with LEDs so you and your plant specimens don't wilt. In Olympus cameras, the One-Touch White Balance works very well with LEDs.
In macro situations have one of those soldering gizmos with all the arms and alligator clips and the magnifying glass, but lose the magnifying glass. This allows you to put aluminum foil reflectors around the jewellry to highlight specific areas .
And, most importantly, DO NOT slide jewellry around on the glass stand on your copy stand. There might be diamonds on the jewellry and even casual sliding will make scratches.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

g4lab

Re: Jools

Post by g4lab »

Very nice work.

It doesn't take a diamond to scratch glass. Almost any piece of jewelry is hard enough to do the job. Even glass pastes though glass varies greatly in hardness. Most glass used for fake jewelry stones tends to be soft because those are the ones with high refractive index.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic