coffee

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mgausp

coffee

Post by mgausp »

I would like to share with you a detail of a coffee bean. The main challenge here was composition and lighting, since I wanted to highlight the "groove" in the bean. Lighting was done by a Godox V1 with a small teflon sheet as diffuser and a DIY fiber optic setup powered by a Godox AD200, the diffuser was positioned towards the top-right and the two fiber optic ends from above and from the front right. I hope my explanation makes sense and you enjoy the image.

coffee by Michael Gerlach, on Flickr

---------------------
technical details:
---------------------
Nikon Z6II
Godox Flash system (V1 + AD200)
M42 bellows
Makro-Symmar 5.6/120 tube lens, slightly further extended than 120mm
Schneider Xenoplan 1.4/17 relay lens at f/2.8 (~eff. aperture about f/20)
213 frames in 10μm steps
stacked in Helicon Focus (mode B, radius: 1, smoothing: 1)

Bob-O-Rama

Re: coffee

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

First off, I like coffee, and like this. It shows the unexpected cellular / foamy / bready texture of the bean. If you think the highlights are still bothersome you can try a larger more distant diffuser illuminated by a point source.

I ended up using the plastic diffuser sheets from a scrap LCD monitor - they work great and you get several of them with various "tooth" to them you can arrange in various ways. They are sort of miraculous, having tried a lot of other materials.

Cyclops

Re: coffee

Post by Cyclops »

Coffee and macro, two great subjects. Brilliant shot!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic