Twirler Moth - Gelechiidae

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

J_Rogers

Twirler Moth - Gelechiidae

Post by J_Rogers »

Edited to fix the incorrect moth identification. Thanks to NikonUser for the correct information.
I usually do not photograph too many insects, but seeing as so many here do, I figured id make my first real posting one of a moth. Ill leave the identification to some of y'all who are more knowledgeable. The white spots on the leg and eye are from some high build pre-cat lacquer. Given the little critter had a field day in some paint fumes, I dont know if the loss of scales on the snout are from me or something that is naturally occurring.

All photos were shot on a Nikon D3300 at 2.75x magnification with 1/200 shutter using:
Reversed Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 @ f/4
Singular Godox Speedlight @ 1/64 power
Dolan-Jenner fiber optic light as fill light
Newport XMS50-S linear stage

190 image stack
moth-stack-2-web.jpg
190 image stack
moth stack 4 web.jpg
cropped section from an 85 image stack
moth stack 3 web 3.jpg
Last edited by J_Rogers on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NikonUser

Re: Crambid Snout Moth

Post by NikonUser »

Title misleading. Not a Crambid.
Snout moths are named for their forward-pointing palps that look like a snout!
The palps on your moth curve backwards over the head as seen in many Twirler Moths Family: Gelechiidae.
Here is a snout moth; long palps, snout, in front of eyes
Crambus agitatellus.jpg
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

J_Rogers, welcome to posting! :)

Sometimes it's challenging to figure out what and how will appeal to a new group.

In general, the crowd here at photomacrography.net tends to be sort of "sticklish" about accuracy. Fortunately it is occasionally tolerant of words that sound perfect for the task even though they're not found in any standard dictionary. But I digress...

You've probably also noted that the membership is pretty well stocked with experts in various fields. I'm the fellow who wrote Zerene Stacker, NikonUser does certain groups of insects, and so on. Once upon a time I posted an image of some clock repair parts, and within hours a fellow in Australia told me exactly what they were, including the part number of the kit that contained them. :shock: Then there was the wasp antenna with a strange tip, which some fellow in Europe identified to subfamily and gender before even seeing the overview shot. I could go on, but again I digress.

I notice from your profile that you're interested in "subjects ranging from turf grass to tribology & metrology." I don't recall that we have any experts in turf grass, though there could well be one who just hasn't popped up yet.

In any case I'm interested in all that stuff too, so keep the photos coming.

--Rik

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

NikonUser wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:44 am
Title misleading. Not a Crambid.
I know this is your field of expertise, but maybe this could be phrased just a little more friendly. I think we all appreciate you pointing out inaccuracies and it's a great benefit for us and the public record.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Twirler Moth - Gelechiidae

Post by rjlittlefield »

J_Rogers, I am curious about the stacking for these images.

You mention f/4 at 2.75X. For that setup the standard formula for diffraction-limited DOF gives 0.065 mm.

But then you mention 190 images per stack. If I were to casually multiply 190 by say 0.050 mm, then I get a total stack depth around 10 mm. That seems like more total depth than I'm seeing in these images, so I'm wondering if you used a smaller step size or I'm just guessing wrong about the depth I see.

What can you tell me?

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic