Focus stacking a live ambush bug

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Focus stacking a live ambush bug

Post by MarkSturtevant »

One subject I’ve had in mind for some time for a focus stacking session is the local species of ambush bug (Phymata pennsylvanica). These are weird assassin bugs that use their cryptic textures and colors to conceal themselves on flowers, where they wait patiently to make a meal of a visiting insect. It does not seem to matter much who makes a one-way trip to the flower, since they are capable of killing insects many times their size and even stinging insects are no match for them. What is of note here is that they sit still for long periods, and that makes them an attractive subject for focus stacking.
So I retrieved one from the flowers in our back garden, and set it up on the patio table for several stacking sessions. A tripod mounted camera was used, plus a macro lens supplemented with a Raynox diopter lens. Continuous lighting was provided by the sun and by LED lights. Focus bracketing was done with the Helicon Fb tube, and the pictures (about 3 dozen each) were assembled in Zerene stacker. Finally, touch ups were done in Gimp.
There were a lot more final pictures than what is shown here, since I sort of went mental with trying out different lighting and other settings.
ImageFocus stacked ambush bug by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Lou Jost

Re: Focus stacking a live ambush bug

Post by Lou Jost »

Nice. I like the one with the brighter white background best. There is something painterly about it.

Guppy

Re: Focus stacking a live ambush bug

Post by Guppy »

Hi Mark

The ambush bug looks like a mythical creature.
You show a series with a good selection of images.
Very interesting and beautiful.

Kurt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic