Primitive mantis in burmese amber

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

OioMik

Primitive mantis in burmese amber

Post by OioMik »

Probably a primitive form of mantis, of approx 90m years ago.
Size of the insect 3/4mm.

MarkSturtevant

Re: Primitive mantis in burmese amber

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That does look like a mantis in the head area. I can't be sure if it is, though. Of course what makes it NOT like a modern mantis are the spines on the legs, and especially on the fore-legs. The spines here are more generalized, or more cockroach like. Roaches of course belong to a sister taxon of the mantids.
Has this been checked out by a paleo-entomologist?
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

OioMik

Post by OioMik »

I am going to show it to Dr.Battiston, a well known mantis expert in Italy. He saw that picture and he thinks it may be interesting. If he thinks it is really interesting we'll try to contact paleomantis experts.

He said primitive roach-mantis had no spines on forelegs. It is not a modern mantis kind for sure.

I will update as soon as possible 🙂

dy5

Post by dy5 »

Very nicely preserved and photographed example! I worked with mantises for quite a few years, so maybe I can contribute a little. As Mark said, the head is very mantis-y. It's a nymph. Spectacular cerci on its butt end. The spines on the prothoracic legs certainly are not like current mantises, but are consistent with some early mantises from that period. There do seem to be spines on the end of the prothoracic tibia that could be precursors to the modern form. If you're especially interested, there a couple of papers that have good information, one by David Grimaldi, and expert in insect evolution (https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/d ... 1&type=pdf) and the other more recent (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5527957/) with excellent diagrams, but some controversial ideas in the text.

David

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very interesting. I don't know the future, but this fossil may be very important on this subject.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

OioMik

Post by OioMik »

Thanks for this informations!
Making this photo was a bit hard, quite dark and full of debris amber.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic