Minerals in 3D (stereopairs)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Medwar

Minerals in 3D (stereopairs)

Post by Medwar »

Not long ago I let live my big project that I had been dreaming about for a long time.
It is about stereo-photographs of minerals (crystals), that can be viewed at full resolution with zooming them while staying in 3D.
Chris asked me in one of his emails if I had announced this on the forum and I thought it should be a good idea.
Not all photos in the article can be attributed to "macro", but there is certainly some macro there.

I intentionally do not post any photos here - because on the forums they can't be viewed (properly) and may distract from the main treats.
I know that many forum members already have the skill to view stereopairs, so here must be the right audience.
Those who can't do it yet - believe me, it's worth trying to learn. There is a nice how-to instruction there.
And if you have a passive 3D display - this is also for you.

Welcome!
https://www.mindat.org/a/mindat_in_3d

I appreciate any feedback very much - I will be happy if you write something here. If you succeeded to catch the 3D effect or not, which viewing method do you use, your impressions?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Minerals in 3D (stereopairs)

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is superb! I exercised the side-by-side displays, both crossed-eye and using a parallel viewer, with lots of zooming in to see details.

I saw no discernable delays at any point in zooming and panning, using Chrome browser.

It probably helps that my internet connection has lots of bandwidth and mindat.org seems to be hosted on the same side of the US that I am.

In any case, very nicely done!

--Rik

Medwar

Post by Medwar »

Thank you, Rik!

I am delighted that you appreciate my work - and I have to say that some of my photos would be not possible to make without help of your Zerene Stacker.
By the way one of the largest 3D macro galleries on Mindat - Tony Peterson's - almost fully consists of Zerene synthetic stereopairs, and they look perfect! (There is a link to it from the article).
Thank you very much for Zerene and for implementing this function. I lack it in Helicon. (I use both Helicon and Zerene depending on scenario).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Well, it is a win-win. I am very fond of stereo, and fond of photos of small things, and that synthetic stereo method has greatly increased the number of excellent images I get to look at.

So, thank you for your side of this fine collaboration!

--Rik

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Great work! Zooming in to the inclusions is a real treat. Any possibility of setting up a stand-alone site to host images for linking or embedding?

Dave

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Great photos.
Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic