what is this dead insect?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Azimuth

what is this dead insect?

Post by Azimuth »

I found this dead insect on the couch, it might have gotten in in the cat's long fur, and i dont have a clue what insect it can be? Anyone here? Location is the Netherlands, suburban.

Shot with full frame Sony, Wemacro rail, tubes and 4x objective, approx 110 photo's, stacked in Zerene, pmax, edited in lightroom ande photoshop, for white balance, contrast and removal of stackworms.
2021-05-31-19.47.44 ZS PMax-bewerkt.jpg
2021-05-31-18.24.12 ZS PMax-bewerkt.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: what is this dead insect?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Good find!

This is not a dead insect. It is the shed exoskeleton of a jumping spider.

In the second picture, the large lump at left is the top of the head. The characteristic arrangement of eyes is retained perfectly.

The jaws, pedipalps, and legs are still connected to the bottom section. The front two pairs of legs, the pedipalps, and the jaws are on the right side of the pictures.

--Rik

Azimuth

Re: what is this dead insect?

Post by Azimuth »

Thank you for your answer. I have seen some jumping spiders in the garden but never made the connection. Strange to see that the head and the jaws are so far apart.

Luckily i had a loupe nearby and decided to inspect this suspicious "breadcrumb".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic