One of those little accidents - in stereo

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

One of those little accidents - in stereo

Post by Beatsy »

I had this dead fly's legs untangled and all the feet pressing together in a single clump. It was only holding due to compression from the legs trying to spring "closed" again.

I intended to stick the clump of feet to the flat top of a headless pin, then drop that down a hole in the end of a thin twig. Shot from a viewpoint of "slightly below, looking up" would hide the feet and UV resin for a nice portrait-orientation stereo, I thought. Simulating a fly standing tippy-toes on top of a stick (which it arguably would be, sort of).

Hah. Just as I brought the resined-up needle to the feet, I dropped the UV torch I was holding "at the ready". That joggled the fly, a couple of the feet sprang apart, legs hit the shank of the pin and the resin sucked them (and the others) back into a tangle. A resin-reinforced tangle! The fly pulled away from the pins it was resting between too, so there was no recovery. I quickly hit it with UV to cure the resin and stop things tangling more (it's "bevel adhesive" that really grabs things and pulls them together while runny). Sigh! It looked promising though so I'll try again with the next one - and less resin.

Meanwhile, here's a no-effort stack and stereo. Shame to waste. Shot at 3.4x on APS-C. Images are the full, uncropped frames straight out of Zerene with a few exposure tweaks. A plan gone awry in glorious 3d :roll: :D
2021-05-17-17.37.14 ZS PMax_1.jpg
jinx2.jpg
Last edited by Beatsy on Tue May 18, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: One of those little accidents - in stereo

Post by rjlittlefield »

Oops! As shown at this moment both sides of the "stereo" view are identical, so it is completely flat.

Nice colors in the wing, though!

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Oops (again). Thanks Rik.
Apposite really but fixed now. Probably backwards :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beatsy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:53 am
No, both sides were identical in the original posting. I even loaded the pair into StereoPhoto Maker and verified that clicking the Swap Sides button produced no detectable effect.

The new current version looks great.

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:14 pm
Beatsy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:53 am
No, both sides were identical in the original posting. I even loaded the pair into StereoPhoto Maker and verified that clicking the Swap Sides button produced no detectable effect.

The new current version looks great.

--Rik
No, I meant "apposite" that I used identical pics. A disaster of a stereo for a disaster of a mount - and joked that the correction would likely be the wrong way round too. It isn't... :)

Thanks. It did look a good subject - low on potential stacking problems for a fly. I just shot a 13.5x stack of the head but it's mouldering (inside) already with eyes collapsing and all colour changed. Too far gone. Next one...

Edit: a stereo from that stack - straight out of zerene. APS-C crop mode at 13.5x, no retouching and a small crop from the edges.
catastro-fly.jpg
And here endeth the sorry saga of the catastro-fly :roll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic