Sunset on the lake Nakuru Kenya

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pawelfoto

Sunset on the lake Nakuru Kenya

Post by pawelfoto »

Almost everything is real: African locusts, sunset also photographed by me. A scene with an LCD background arranged on the desk. If you say this is kitsch, I will not be offended.
== Paweł
Attachments
M6M2 + EFM28mm macro, f / 5.6 1 / 6s, 18 * 1FB, LED: 1xJansjo + 2x Andoer W64, Zerene + PS.
M6M2 + EFM28mm macro, f / 5.6 1 / 6s, 18 * 1FB, LED: 1xJansjo + 2x Andoer W64, Zerene + PS.

Sumguy01

Re: Sunset on the lake Nakuru Kenya

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I took the time to look up "kitsch". According to Wikipedia, the term is more complicated than I would have guessed. I might use it here in the sense of paragraph 3: "art deemed kitsch may be enjoyed in an entirely positive and sincere manner."

I like the image. Regarding "real", I am reminded of one of my own efforts, HERE.

--Rik

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

I am glad, Rik, that you have understood my intentions and provocation well and that you have spoken out about the manipulation in photography. In the case of kitsch, perhaps the artistic goals must justify the unreality of the situation. In serious forums, any manipulation should be described in an honest way. For the photography of the locusts, I don't know if it would be possible to meet them by the lake around 6pm. The lighting was a problem, because obviously the sun shining from behind cannot illuminate the foreground. I had a lot of fun setting the shell to shine from the back. Although the picture is pleasing to the eye, it is probably too impossible.
The question "false or true?" it is important when it comes to nature and art photography. I will explain with the example of my giraffe photos from 20 years ago. The first is obviously manipulated and technically wrong. Only the silhouette of the animal should be visible and the patches on the skin would be impossible to see. But the desire to show "how beautiful it is there" and ignorance in post-processing led me to create kitsch. The two other photos are random snapshots. The last thing I would think of was to make a giraffe with 12 legs in photoshop.
Below, see me taking pictures of flamingos. The panorama is also manipulated, or as we can say now, it is a kind of stacking. I was standing on the shore, flamingos were marching in front of me at a distance of about 30 meters. After putting together a few shots, a panorama came out, but when you look at the details, there are duplicated birds in slightly different poses. Was it justified? The viewers liked the effect, and the photo was not made for NG. I'm in love with focus stacking at the moment, but true wildlife photography based of crawling across the grass, waiting, being patient and pressing the shutter at the right moment is wonderful in itself.
Attachments
giraff.jpg
nakuru.jpg
panorama.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I like it. The landscapes and big wildlife too.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

what great memories of my travels these photos bring me ...
This is a topic that I often theorize with my friends and students. I think that any photograph, because it is a 2D of a 3D, because it is a small area of a much larger reality ... it is already a manipulation that seeks a specific response in the image reader.
Is it a manipulation to remove the specks of dust from our macros with Photoshop? probably yes for some. An HDR (which with the adequate dynamic range could show the spots of the giraffe against the light) is a manipulation? ... I do not know exactly if there is a clear and common limit for all in that concept. Personally, if the image seems plausible and helps convey what I mean by it, I accept it. Manipulation is those kistch :lol: images with winged white horses and vaporous fairies that we have all seen at some time in a photographic contest.

I'm curious about what you define as a focus stack in flamingos. Can you explain this technique a bit? It is only a panorama?

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

In the case of flamingos, I didn't use the concept of focus stack. It was a kind of manipulated panorama. When you look closely, it is composed of several shots of the same birds in slightly different poses, because the photos were taken in short intervals of time. This is best seen in the individuals in the foreground. It's great fun, after 20 years of guessing which bird is which and how many shots there were. If you want, here's a slightly bigger picture. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HJXud_ ... sp=sharing. The full size for printing, 300cm long, was 500 MB.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic