Turkestan cockroach (Shelfordella Lateralis) and surprise

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pawelfoto

Turkestan cockroach (Shelfordella Lateralis) and surprise

Post by pawelfoto »

Yesterday I did the first focus bracketing with my new Canon M6II lens - EFM 28mm f / 3.5 Macro IS STM. About this lens and internal bracketing I will write a separate post on "Techniques and Technical Discussions". The cockroach itself may not be very interesting, but when I was processing the photo today, I saw that there is an additional "guest" in the lower part of the young linden shoot. My curiosity led me to dig yesterday's specimen out of a bucket and I made a magnification of a dried-up insect (wasp baby?).
Attachments
M6M2 + EFM28mm macro, f / 5.6 1 / 20s, 121 * 1FB, 1xJansjo + 1x Andoer W64, Zerene + PS retouching.
M6M2 + EFM28mm macro, f / 5.6 1 / 20s, 121 * 1FB, 1xJansjo + 1x Andoer W64, Zerene + PS retouching.
M6M2 + Nikon 10xPlanApo + DCR150 on 209mm, 85 * 5µ; 50% crop
M6M2 + Nikon 10xPlanApo + DCR150 on 209mm, 85 * 5µ; 50% crop

Sumguy01

Re: Turkestan cockroach (Shelfordella Lateralis) and surprise

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lovely image! Background with gradient, illumination, and posing all perfect. I do not see any stacking artifacts.

The second image appears to be the shed skin of some insect that has "incomplete metamorphosis", where the young look much like the adults. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemimetabolism .) In this specimen, note the distinct legs and antennae. Wasps and flies both have complete metamorphosis with larvae like maggots, so it would not be one of those. Maybe something in order Hemiptera.

--Rik

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very nice photo!

Wasps undergo complete metamorphosis, changing from a wingless, legless grub to a winged adult. They do not pass through a stage with legs but no wings, so I think your visitor is something else.

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

Thank you very much for the nice words, because it makes me want to continue working and learning. Entomology is not my field, but it is with great pleasure that I explore its secrets step by step.
==Pawel

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

The extra item is likely the cast skin of an aphid, or something related.
Very nice stack!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Mark, did you see Pawel's other post?
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 55#p273455
I think the insect that is walking around in that post could be the same species as the dead insect shown in this post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic