Black fly

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pawelfoto

Black fly

Post by pawelfoto »

I found this 1cm long fly on the first sunny day. It was completely black so I decided to try to photograph it against a black background. I don't know what kind of species it is, or if the 3 red points on the forehead are extra eyes. It looks almost like a B&W, but there was no color / saturation adjustment.
M6M2, Mitu5x + DCR250 on 125mm, 1 / 125s 233 * 5µ + 4xLED, 8cm double tracing tube, Zerene+PS
best, Pawel
Attachments
black-fly.jpg

pawelfoto

Re: Black fly

Post by pawelfoto »

M6M2, Nikon PlanApo10x+DCR150, 6s, 112*7µ 1xLED
Attachments
3-red-eyes.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nicely imaged! The illumination has a beautiful balance of diffusion and modeling, especially in the second one.

In the second image, you could get a cleaner edge of background against eye, by rending with DMap and a suitable contrast threshold. "The contrast threshold should be set so that the background goes entirely "black in preview", except for a narrow strip right next to the eye. Because much of the scene is black, I recommend to set the DMap mask color to something like a rubylith (dark semi-transparent red) rather than its default solid black. See https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 149#215149 for more about that.

The three red points on the forehead are ocelli. They are a sort of eye, but specialized for determining orientation rather than normal imaging like the compound eyes.

Based on the structure of the antennae, mouthparts, and sculpturing of the cuticle, the subject strikes me as some kind of wasp (Hymenoptera), not a fly (Diptera).

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

That is a challenging stack, nicely done. I agree it does look like a wasp, or at least not like a fly. One would have to see the whole insect from above to get a better idea.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

The insect was in bad condition, I had to restire it. I've got only this low quality images
Attachments
BFLY.jpg

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

I discover new advantages of foum. In addition to admiring the work of others and learning about how they take beautiful photos, the site stimulates curiosity. It encourages me to learn more about insects. I searched on the internet and this wasp is similar to Dipogon hircanum or Anoplius nigerrimus, Common Black Spider Wasp

pawelfoto

Post by pawelfoto »

Thank you Mark and Rik for your interest and kind words. This is a good method for me, called "carrot and stick" in Poland. I appreciate all critical comments which helps me improve my skills. I am constantly learning how to fix photos on PS using masks (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmFL4Y2RBXM ). But you're right, it's better to solve as many problems as possible while making a good stack in Zerene.
--Pawel

Guppy

Post by Guppy »

Hi Pawel
Very nice pictures in a super resolution, everything clear and recognizable.
I like the lighting.
Kurt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic