"Lake fly" (Chironomidae)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pawelfoto

"Lake fly" (Chironomidae)

Post by pawelfoto »

I found this mosquito-sized "Lake fly" next to a dumpster. It is still cold in Poland - 0 degrees Celsius (32F) at night, but the sun shone in the morning and maybe insects will start to come to life. I was fascinated by his pear-shaped eyes with extra single lenses on top. Antenna plumes were a challenge for Zerene.
I am still learning so all comments on how to improve are valuable to me.
==Pawel
Attachments
5D Mark IV & Raynox DCR 150 & Nikon CFI Plan10x; MT-24EX twin speedlight towards the lens and reflected from the diffuser behind, 400 * (DOF / 2)
5D Mark IV & Raynox DCR 150 & Nikon CFI Plan10x; MT-24EX twin speedlight towards the lens and reflected from the diffuser behind, 400 * (DOF / 2)
Last edited by pawelfoto on Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkSturtevant

Re: "Lake fly" (Chironomidae)

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Nicely done! I think you managed this challenging stack very well.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

pawelfoto

Re: "Lake fly" (Chironomidae)

Post by pawelfoto »

"Lake fly" are flies typically associated with aquatic environments. They can be found both in stagnant and flowing waters. They often fly over wet meadows, forests adjacent to the water… they also appear in cities. Militia are generally all year round, and some may appear (and even breed) even in winter, when there is still snow. Only males have antennae like a plume. With their help, they are able to receive high-frequency sound waves. It just so happens that females, while swiftly flapping their wings, are able to cause vibrations of just such a frequency.
==Pawel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic