Voice Coil

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pizzazz

Voice Coil

Post by Pizzazz »

Hi Gang

The attached photos require a back story.

I have always been a music lover and even more so, an audio gear lover. I have always had high-end or pro-level
audio gear for my home audio system, and I recently updated my speakers (about 3 years ago – not too recent).

I was always a fan of Altec Lansing and Klipsch. I had a pair of Altec Model 19’s (1977) which were the “Voice of the Theater”
for the home. I have actually had multiple pairs of “Voice of the Theater” systems, but they were too large for the house.
Actually, whatever the reason, the wife would not accept them like I did, so in the studio they lived.

Anyway, several years ago, my wife wanted me to get rid of my Altec Model 19’s, and that opened a door for me to get a pair of Klipsch
Reference series speakers; they were not as large as the Altec yet they would meet my musical requirements.

Soon after, as fate would have it, the planets aligned, the force was with me and I was able to get my ultimate speakers: A pair of Klipsch La Scala.

Klipsch La Scala:
lascala.jpg

So now the audio system complete, and the Man Cave established as my private “Escape Room”, I enjoyed my music and listened with a smile.
However, on one particular evening, I was feeling pumped and uppity, and decided to “crank it up”, allowing my Altec Lansing 300 watt power amp
to go through its paces. After I was satisfied with the moment, I turned down the volume, but I noticed a change. No, not that my ears
were blown off my head, as they should have been, but the high frequency in one cabinet was seriously off!

Yes! I had blown the diaphragm in the high frequency horn in the left speaker cabinet! Oh, the insanity!
When I received a replacement diaphragm, I performed the necessary surgery to fix the horn.

I decided to take some shots of the bad voice coil and share them with you.

The wire, as I measured with my calipers, is .1 mm in diameter and the diameter of the coil is 1 inch.

The first shot is with a 4x Nikon objective and the second shot is with a 10x Mitutoyo objective.

2021-02-12-15.16.59-ZS-retouched_WEB.jpg

2021-02-12-14.50.19-ZS-retouched_WEB.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic