Honey bee eye

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dgarnick

Honey bee eye

Post by dgarnick »

I work with museums to create imagery for exhibitions. I'm currently starting on a project illustrating insect morphology as it relates to insects' behaviors and environments. I post-process the photos to give them the look of lithographic prints. The goal is to engage the public, and illustrate specific features. To do this, I use portrait lighting techniques. I also crush the tonal range (i.e. "posterization"), and perform other travesties that appall a lot of photographers :)

I realize my goals for image results are very different from those of most members here. I admire the work I see on this site, and I'm learning a lot here as I'm a novice at working smaller than 1:1. I'm just curious how folks here view this type of treatment. Honest opinions appreciated. The photo is the eye of a honey bee (Apis mellifera).

bee-eye.jpg
David Garnick

leonardturner

Re: Honey bee eye

Post by leonardturner »

The canopy of photography/processing covers a broad area embracing many specific purposes and uses. While not providing maximal nuance or a platform for comparative analysis, I can easily see how this type of image would serve the purpose for which you produced it quite well. Impactful, and nicely done.

Leonard

dgarnick

Post by dgarnick »

leonardturner wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:24 am
While not providing maximal nuance or a platform for comparative analysis, I can easily see how this type of image would serve the purpose for which you produced it quite well.
Well put, Leonard.
David Garnick

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I was about to say that, but Leonard beat me to it! :^o
Doing this would be like a dream job for me, btw.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

dgarnick

Post by dgarnick »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:12 pm
Doing this would be like a dream job for me, btw.
Mark - It is truly wonderful because of the fascinating subject matter, feeling like my work matters, and working with great people who are knowledgeable and dedicated. The catch? I can afford to do this because I'm retired. The projects are often dependent on grants, and sometimes my payment works out to about minimum wage.
David Garnick

Gilles Benoit

Post by Gilles Benoit »

David, the bee seems to have hairs coming out of its eye. Is this the case, or is it due to focus stacking?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The hairs really are coming out of the eyes. It is a characteristic feature that separates bumble bees (bare eyes) from honey bees (hairy eyes).

The image is excellent, by the way!

--Rik

dgarnick

Post by dgarnick »

Thanks for the kind words, Rik. In the case of the honey bee, the eye hairs are spaced at a distance that is about the size of dandelion pollen grains - probably not coincidental.

I lit strongly from one side, with a weaker fill light on the other side (or maybe just white card stock to bounce in the fill light - I don't remember). This emphasizes contours and texture, but obscures some detail. I use polarizing filters to remove glare on the dark side, and retain a bit of shine on the bright side.
David Garnick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic