Grasshopper

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leonardturner

Grasshopper

Post by leonardturner »

2020-09-12-16.01.07  WWDen3 2589-2665.jpg
Nikon 850, 105 macro, existing light

I suspect that this particular grasshopper might be a Carolina locust, but would welcome more knowledgeable id. It was on my doormat, and not wanting to step on him by accident, I moved the entire mat to a less dangerous and more accessible place to photograph. It seemed totally preoccupied with eating something--the fibers in the doormat? Shooting from the rear permitted a stack of about 75 images to be obtained in-camera with a minimum of disruption from all the activity going on up front. I've seen no more of these, so apparently we are not looking at a pestilence of locusts to accompany our pandemic of Covid.

Leonard

Guido

Re: Grasshopper

Post by Guido »

Impressive image!

Did you use extension tubes to obtain a magnification?

Saul

Post by Saul »

Impressive stack & interesting perspective
Saul
μ-stuff

Oscar_macro

Post by Oscar_macro »

very nice, good job!

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

My thanks for all of your kind comments.

Guido, extension tubes were not used. There was no need for additional magnification.

Leonard

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Sort of reminds me of something from the movie "Starship Troopers." Great perspective and lighting.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Thanks, Ken. Interesting observation. Somehow it reminded me of Wyeth's "Christina's World" when I first looked at the stack.

Leonard

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is a great photo! The grasshopper on mat is a behavior that I've not seen before, and the lighting and background are superb.

However, I have moved it from Nature to Technical and Studio. The Nature forum is specifically for subjects "in their natural environment". Historically we've taken a pretty hard line that moving a subject into a place that's more convenient or offers better lighting or background turns it from Nature to Studio, and I think it's better if we maintain that distinction.

--Rik

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

No problem, Rik. I wondered about placement originally, but guessed wrong.

I am a little disappointed that no one has commented on whether it is really likely that my hungry critter was actually eating the sisal or whatever it is that comprises the doormat where I found him. Whatever it was, he really liked it!

Leonard

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Pretty sure this is a katydid. You can see the sword-like ovipositor in the rear.
That has really compelling lighting. Very nice looking picture.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Thanks, Mark; appreciate the id. Incidentally, I had a look at the door mat in question in a couple of stacks at a much higher magnification, and it doesn't look like organic material, so my grasshopper likely had found something else to eat.

Leonard

abpho

Post by abpho »

That's a beautiful image. The colours are perfect. Great perspective and I love that background.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic