Yucca

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Yucca

Post by Olympusman »

Yucca.jpg
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Beatsy

Re: Yucca

Post by Beatsy »

I think that's the first time I've seen a Yucca flower. Certainly the first time I've seen one "knowingly". Ta.

Photomicro

Post by Photomicro »

They do tend to flower rather sporadically over here in the UK Steve, and usually have to reach maturity first.

Some plants on some waste ground on an small industrial estate in a town near me did so quite spectacularly last year.

They won't set seed here, unless artificially pollinated though, as the moth does not live here. I am guessing it does where Olympusman lives.
regards, Mike.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66189529@N08/

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

To give you an idea of what a yucca in blossom looks like, these are some from my front yard. The one on the left has a stalk eight feet high.
Yucca 2.jpg
I lived in Arizona for twenty plus years and was used to seeing yucca everywhere. When I came to the eastern United States in 1993 I was amazed at the ubiquity of yucca as decorative plants. We have seven or eight on our property.
Yucca is also a very good substitute for potatos to make fries. Yucca (cassava) is very common here in the frozen food section because of the very large presence of Central Americans. To prepare:
Thaw the frozen yucca.
Cut it into French fry size pieces.
Boil for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Drain in a collander and rinse under cold water to remove the loose gummy starch.
Pat dry the pieces on paper towels.
Stir fry in oil until firm and brown.
I usually serve it with a horseradish mayonnaise.
Enjoy.

Chef Mike

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I think a 5-min stroll to our local chippy is more up my street Mike

Thanks tho

food-is-fuel Beats :D

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Olympusman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:34 pm
Yucca is also a very good substitute for potatos to make fries. Yucca (cassava) is very common here in the frozen food section because of the very large presence of Central Americans. To prepare:
I fear that there is a mistake: there are two american very different and unrelated plants often confused because of some of their common names: "yucca" (Yucca genus, Fam. Asparagaceae) and "yuca" ( the maniot or cassava (Manihot esculenta Fam. Euphorbiaceae).

Although some species of Yucca have edible parts consumed in certain zones of Central America, the Manihot is a very widespread food source and I think that you're referring to it.
Of course the pictured plants here are Yucca
Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, Pau is right, I was about to say the same thing.

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

Interesting. The packaging for the commercial yucca at my local supermarket is marked "yucca".
Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

What does the product look like?

Olympusman

Post by Olympusman »

WOW!I never noticed the difference in naming. Indeed, the stuff I love to cook is "yuca."
yuca 1.jpg
yuca 2.jpg
Making yuca fries tonight with burgers.

Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yup. Here are my Huaorani friends teaching my students to harvest and plant yuca. The palmate-leaved plants behind them are all yuca.
Hmm, I can't get the forum to upload the picture. Says it is too big, even though its size is 273kb and less than 1023px wide.
Edit- Rik fixed the problem
_1110463.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic