Fly - stereo composite

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Fly - stereo composite

Post by Beatsy »

Nothing special. Just the result of automating composition with a macro (the script-like variety) within Affinity photo.
It saves me continually getting the two stereo images the wrong way round. Yayy :)

7.5x Mitty @ 7.5x. FoV ~4.6mm wide.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... very nice. I like the colors too. Stereo looks great.

Len Willan

Post by Len Willan »

Taxanomic Entomology at it's very best,

Congratulations.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Wonderful.. I would love to see the full-size mage to admire the tiny details.. :)
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Tried to do a couple of stereos (first time) .. just used Zerene default settings
Am I imagining things or ?... I have the feeling if I swap the image positions.. left to right and right to left I get a better "stereo" effect.. :shock:

NikonUser

It's always the fine print...

Post by NikonUser »

Image spoilt by the haemolymph leaking from the pin hole (?) in the katepisternum
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yawns wrote:Tried to do a couple of stereos (first time) .. just used Zerene default settings
Am I imagining things or ?... I have the feeling if I swap the image positions.. left to right and right to left I get a better "stereo" effect.. :shock:
When you swap the images, you invert the depth -- what was front becomes back and vice versa.

One of the orderings will be correct, meaning that depth from stereo is consistent with other depth cues from shadows and occlusion. That will look good.

The other ordering will be inverted, meaning that depth from stereo is not consistent with shadows and occlusion. That will look not so good.

In the very best case, a convex subject will invert to look concave, like the inside of a mask. Many people won't recognize this and end up concluding that the image looks 3D but somehow odd.

If there are overlaps, so that part of the subject is hidden behind another part, then inverted stereo will make it look like there's a slot or hole in the "front" part, though which you can see the entire "back" part. This looks so strange that most people will recognize it as clearly wrong, even though often they still won't be able to articulate exactly how it's wrong.

Zerene Stacker has no idea whether the two selected frames should be displayed left/right or right/left. Either way could be correct, depending on the optics, whether you stepped from back to front or front to back, what processing options you used, and whether you want your stereo to be parallel or cross-eyed. Ultimately it's up to the user to choose the correct order by visual inspection.

--Rik

Beatsy

Re: It's always the fine print...

Post by Beatsy »

NikonUser wrote:Image spoilt by the haemolymph leaking from the pin hole (?) in the katepisternum
Far simpler than that :) I accidentally bumped it with the glue-bearing wire I stuck to the legs for mounting. Hence "nothing special". Silly mistake, but it seemed a shame not to make a stack from it anyway. The other side was damaged (as found).

David Sykes

Post by David Sykes »

Very nice stereo image but your brain is very unforgiving when the left/right images do not quite 'add up'.

I assume stereo retouching has never been implemented in Zerene even though I think Rik has previously mentioned it.

StereoPhoto Maker (SPM) does have a feature for moving selected areas in depth on the other image, maybe that would work ?

David

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

David Sykes wrote:I assume stereo retouching has never been implemented in Zerene even though I think Rik has previously mentioned it.
There's no retouching from individual original source files. If you try, the operation won't be diagnosed as an error but the retouched pixels won't line up correctly.

However, retouching does work properly when done from a Stack Selected output image that was generated with the same shift settings.

This can be an effective method of solving the "transparent foreground" problem, such as we see in Beatsy's pair where the legs overlap.
StereoPhoto Maker (SPM) does have a feature for moving selected areas in depth on the other image, maybe that would work ?
I don't understand. What problem is this addressing, and how might it be used here?

--Rik

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Awesomely sharp and well lit. Love the stereo

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Very nice picture! The stereo pair is unfortunately difficult one for my eyes.
- Rane

David Sykes

Post by David Sykes »

Rik,

the areas causing viewing disparity are outlined in attached image.
You have already explained reason for 'leg problem'.

David

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

rjlittlefield wrote: Ultimately it's up to the user to choose the correct order by visual inspection.

--Rik
Thank you.. it's nice to get the explanation from the source...

António

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Hi Beatsy .. can you tell how you got the white background? I like it a lot...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic