Parasites

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

scitch

Parasites

Post by scitch »

My daughter is doing a science fair project comparing the genomes of insects collected in a nature reserve (with permission) with insects collected at a site with lots of human impact. Part of the project is getting an ID (down to Order) for the insects. When IDing some of the specimens under a dissecting scope, she noticed these creatures on the end of a Midge. Are those parasites? Are they normal or is it something to be concerned about?

Sorry the quality isn't great. It was just a cell phone through the eyepiece handheld and some digital zoom.

Thanks!
Mike

abpho

Post by abpho »

Whatever they are, they are cute. ;)
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

They look like eggs.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

You'd need more resolution to be sure but to me they look like parasite mites, do you see the eyes?
Pau

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

A web search on "midge with parasites " turned up this image

https://www.google.com/search?sclient=t ... -9wQ32pxM:

A water mite appears similar to the critters on the tail of the images posted here....

K

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I agree that these look like mites. The insects look like midges (flies that are related to mosquitoes, but midges do not bite).
Some mites are parasites, sucking blood like ticks (and they are related to ticks in any case). Others just feed on bodily secretions without doing harm. And others just use the insect to carry them around. No idea what the story is here, though.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic