Soap film interference colours take 3

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LordV

Soap film interference colours take 3

Post by LordV »

In take 2 I solved the motion blur just using a higher shutter speed but the shots still had OOF areas due to the angle of the camera to the soap film needed to see the colours. With take 3 I added more glycerol to the soap mix and found the colour patterns stopped swirling around. This allowed me to focus stack the images (3 to 5 shots) to get the whole frame in focus ( using zerene).

Shots are of a soap film in a vertical wire loop using a LED panel light as light source and handheld Sony A6000 camera with canon fit Sigma 105mm OS lens around 1:1 magnification

Brian V.

www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Soap films are interesting. You can show wave intereference, current flow (ionise the surfactant), electrostatic attraction (bend the film), measure the size of a soap molecule (from the steps in colours), surface tension, and more.

The swirly colours thing, is interesting in that some people are strongly attracted to it, as they are to rainbows. (TBH it beats me why, - same for music, a sequence of tones. About as enticing as a row of different weights :? )
Chris R

LordV

Post by LordV »

ChrisR wrote:Soap films are interesting. You can show wave intereference, current flow (ionise the surfactant), electrostatic attraction (bend the film), measure the size of a soap molecule (from the steps in colours), surface tension, and more.

The swirly colours thing, is interesting in that some people are strongly attracted to it, as they are to rainbows. (TBH it beats me why, - same for music, a sequence of tones. About as enticing as a row of different weights :? )
Thanks for the info Chris.
Must admit I love the swirly colour thing - leaving out the glycerol and just watching the colours and patterns evolve I find totally hypnotic :)

Brian v.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Brian,

I don't understand the technical aspects like Chris mentioned. However, without such understanding, for me these are just beautiful images to view.

I can see (pun intended) why folks could get attracted to these images as they swirl and change with time.

Sometimes what we think are the simplest things are quit beautiful and mysterious, but they do have a fundamental scientific behavior. Another example is the simple water drop, some images are just stunning. The physics behind these drops is fascinating for those folks interested in the science.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Best,

Mike

LordV

Post by LordV »

mawyatt wrote:Brian,

I don't understand the technical aspects like Chris mentioned. However, without such understanding, for me these are just beautiful images to view.

I can see (pun intended) why folks could get attracted to these images as they swirl and change with time.

Sometimes what we think are the simplest things are quit beautiful and mysterious, but they do have a fundamental scientific behavior. Another example is the simple water drop, some images are just stunning. The physics behind these drops is fascinating for those folks interested in the science.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

Best,

Mike
Thanks for the comments Mike :)
Brian v.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I shall steal your idea :D. I'll start a new thread ..
Chris R

billjanes1

Re: Soap film interference colours take 3

Post by billjanes1 »

LordV wrote:In take 2 I solved the motion blur just using a higher shutter speed but the shots still had OOF areas due to the angle of the camera to the soap film needed to see the colours. With take 3 I added more glycerol to the soap mix and found the colour patterns stopped swirling around. This allowed me to focus stack the images (3 to 5 shots) to get the whole frame in focus ( using zerene).

Shots are of a soap film in a vertical wire loop using a LED panel light as light source and handheld Sony A6000 camera with canon fit Sigma 105mm OS lens around 1:1 magnification

Brian V.
Brian,

Beautiful images! Liquid detergent concentrations vary among brands, but approximately how many ml of soap do you use per liter of water and how many ml of glycerol did you find to give the best results.

Thanks,

Bill

LordV

Re: Soap film interference colours take 3

Post by LordV »

billjanes1 wrote:
LordV wrote:In take 2 I solved the motion blur just using a higher shutter speed but the shots still had OOF areas due to the angle of the camera to the soap film needed to see the colours. With take 3 I added more glycerol to the soap mix and found the colour patterns stopped swirling around. This allowed me to focus stack the images (3 to 5 shots) to get the whole frame in focus ( using zerene).

Shots are of a soap film in a vertical wire loop using a LED panel light as light source and handheld Sony A6000 camera with canon fit Sigma 105mm OS lens around 1:1 magnification.
I was using JOY brand detergent bought 25 yrs ago in the US, recommended as the best bubble blowing detergent - don't know if it's still available

Brian V.
Brian,

Beautiful images! Liquid detergent concentrations vary among brands, but approximately how many ml of soap do you use per liter of water and how many ml of glycerol did you find to give the best results.

Thanks,

Bill
Thanks Bill, slight guesses (I did not measure it).
to 100ml water add 5 to 10ml detergent and same with glycerol.
I was using JOY brand detergent bought 25 years ago in the US- supposed to be the best for bubble blowing :)

Brian v.

JohnKoerner

Post by JohnKoerner »

Beautiful work and fascinating concept.

LordV

Post by LordV »

JohnKoerner wrote:Beautiful work and fascinating concept.
Thanks John :)
One of those Winter bad weather exercises :)
Brian v.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic