British soldier lichen

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

leonardturner

British soldier lichen

Post by leonardturner »

Lichens are comprised of fungal (supportive) and algal (photo-synthetically active) elements living together in either a symbiotic or a more parasitic relationship. Whatever the relationship, it works well, as attested by the frequency with which they may be found. The British soldier tag, referencing the historical red attire of British troops, may strictly be applied only to Cladonia cristatella, which this is probably not, as it came from the mountains of north Georgia, but there are many lichens sporting red fruiting bodies, and the name would seem to fit all. The third image illustrates what seems to be the supporting fungal element in the damaged lichen. The fourth shows a number of lichens on a portion of an old railroad tie.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Lovely pictures. :)
But "British soldier"? I've only ever known it called Cladonia. Over here we obviously choose to forget about that old squabble.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Thank you, Chris. They are commonly called "British Soldier" here and it never occurred to me that wasn't a world-wide alias! If you just tag them as Cladonia, you throw them in with the Pixie Cups and that sort of thing, and they look so sharp in their red costumes (both the lichens and the soldiers). But you'll get no squabble from me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic