A mixed bag, hoverfly, wasp eye and doli fly (I think)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

daemonoropsis

A mixed bag, hoverfly, wasp eye and doli fly (I think)

Post by daemonoropsis »

A bit of a mixed bag as I just had time to edit a bunch of pictures yesterday that had been sitting on my hd for some time.

Mix of 10 and 20x shot with mitutoyos and LEDs for light

I edit these for 1200px to be shown on my website and I'm posting these from work (naugthy me) so I had to resize using http://pixlr.com/editor/ so they might be a bit "artifacty" as it provides pretty much zero control.

Hoverfly eye and mouthparts

Hoverfly eyes

Wasp eye

Wet beetle

Some kind of doli I think, not sure.

Bill Eldridge

Post by Bill Eldridge »

Magnificent images both aesthetically and technically. I'm gob-smacked.

How did you stack and edit?

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

They are all single stacks with a few substacks to fix problem areas (I dont own a pc so none of the slab utilities work for me on my mac, im not a patient man so manual slabbing is not something I do often). All are PMAX. I then processed them in cs6 afterwards to clean and color adjust.

I used to always shot raw images->tiff->stack but these are all from jpegs as the raw/tiff process took forever with neglible differences in quality.

Olympusman

Stacks

Post by Olympusman »

Very crisp images. What program did you use to stack?
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Bill Eldridge

Post by Bill Eldridge »

It's good to know I'm not the only Mac user here. I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag: I'm finishing a cross-platform slabbing utility for Zerene Stacker called "Bugslabber". Everything's done but the Help text and checking the Windows version. Should be announced here soon.

You're apparently using ZS. Message me if you like and I'll send you Bugslabber for Mac. I've tried to make the GUI straightforward enough that you don't need no stinking Help text.

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

That sounds good. I've been hoping someone with programming experience would make one. I'll send you a pm.

martincito

Post by martincito »

daemonoropsis wrote: I used to always shot raw images->tiff->stack but these are all from jpegs as the raw/tiff process took forever with neglible differences in quality.
Great images and interesting to hear you didn't go from RAW to TIFF to get them. Your results are a pretty convincing argument for saving all that time on the conversion. I'd be interested in other people's opinions about this...

Regards,

Martin

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Excellent framing and detail.

Are the first two Volucella zonaria?

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

Martin: It probably depends a lot on your workflow but it definately works for me.

Harold: Either that or a very close cousin :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

martincito wrote:
daemonoropsis wrote: I used to always shot raw images->tiff->stack but these are all from jpegs as the raw/tiff process took forever with neglible differences in quality.
Great images and interesting to hear you didn't go from RAW to TIFF to get them. Your results are a pretty convincing argument for saving all that time on the conversion. I'd be interested in other people's opinions about this...
For deep stacks, I always shoot in-camera JPEG. These are cases where I have plenty of time to tune the lighting so that JPEGs work well, negligible difference from raw-->tiff as daemonoropsis says.

--Rik

daemonoropsis

Post by daemonoropsis »

Using Bills excellent bugslabber app for mac I created this last night as a test of the batch script generator and I can say that mac users can look forward to much much easier slabbing.

The image it self needs a bit more work and I probably should have used my 20x at 18x instead, I just needed a stack to test the slabbing functionality of bugslabber.

239 source images, 14 slabs of 20 each, 20x mag, led lights.

Bill Eldridge

Post by Bill Eldridge »

Hooray! It works! Spectacular image. I'm glad to have made a contribution to it.

Bugslabber for Mac and Windows coming soon to a forum near you...

tatler56

Slabbing?

Post by tatler56 »

Excuse my ignorance but what is all this slabbing?

Bill Eldridge

Post by Bill Eldridge »

"Slab" = sub-stack. In Zerene Stacker slabbing can be done manually or via a batch script.

Start here: Sub-stacks by ChrisR. You can search the forum for "slab" for a wealth of further discussion.

For Windows-only slabbing script generators, see SlabberJockey by Chris S. and ZereneVS by elf.

martincito

Re: A mixed bag, hoverfly, wasp eye and doli fly (I think)

Post by martincito »

daemonoropsis wrote: ... and LEDs for light
Inspirational stuff this. Do you have a photo of the lighting setup?

Regards,
Martin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic