wasp in baltic amber

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lothar-Gutjahr

wasp in baltic amber

Post by Lothar-Gutjahr »

Hi,

this little wasp is originally 1,2 mm long and i found here in a piece of amber.

Zeiss Luminar 40 mm on bellow: Sony NEX 5 ( without N) mouted on my homebrew "universal foto microscope" and Zerene stacker

I used a blue background while stacking which makes that flair of sky in there. I call this partial stacking, hence foreground and backgroundfotos where not taken in this stack. On could consider it also a sort of tomografie.
The baltic amber is about 40 million years old .

Have fun

Lothar

edit: eliminated that "billion"
Last edited by Lothar-Gutjahr on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pau
Site Admin

Re: wasp in baltic amber

Post by Pau »

Impressive specimen and picture.
Lothar-Gutjahr wrote: The baltic amber is about 40 billion years old ( in german 40 millions)
40 millions in german = 40 millions in english. The confusion comes with the english billion = one thousand millions and the "european" billion = one million of millions. Sadly many book translators are not aware of this big difference.
Pau

Lothar-Gutjahr

Post by Lothar-Gutjahr »

Hi Pau,

thank you verry much helping eliminating that bug. Now i remember again the german Milliarde is the american billion. But anyway, it is so far away from our times, it is unimaginable.

greets Lothar

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Lothar-Gutjahr wrote:... But anyway, it is so far away from our times, it is unimaginable.
You just need a solid reference frame. In Geology we are used to manage this time scales with naturality. :D
Pau

Lothar-Gutjahr

Post by Lothar-Gutjahr »

Hi Pau,

thank you Pau for this good advice. Printed paper may be patient. The problem is, to have thuch solid refrence frame in my brain. :D

Perhaps it´s easyer to imagine such long times when your dealing with that ideas more often ?

Greetings to Spain from the rim of bavarian alps.

Lothar

Guppy

Post by Guppy »

Hallo Lothar

The wasp loks very happy,
nice image.

Kurt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic