Mantis Fly

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Keifer

Mantis Fly

Post by Keifer »

A contact of mine sent me some bugs from Florida. After a bit of a wash and a dry out on the window cill this fella cleaned up really well. This is the sort of insect i will never see alive in the UK and it is by far the weirdest looking critter i have ever seen.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

A faultless rendering.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

cueben

Post by cueben »

Great photo of an amazing creature! What size is it (size of the visible area and size of the entire bug)?

-Ben

crisarg

Post by crisarg »

Very nice job!

What a strange insect... What is it?
Cristian Arghius

Flickr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice job! Very natural appearance for a dried specimen. I like the composition, background, and lighting. I see no stacking artifacts except what might be a bit of halo around the right eye.
What a strange insect... What is it?
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantispidae.

--Rik

Keifer

Post by Keifer »

Thank you Harold

Thank you Ben. The insect is 22mm in length and the visible area (the photo) is around 10mm.

Thank you crisarg.

Thank you Rik. I was surprised at it condition....it had a good bath though. I couldn't get rid of the halo. I tried retouching, cloning etc.....my PS skills are not 100% or even 50% come to think of it.

Would you happen to know what the law is concerning sending dead insects internationally?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Keifer wrote:I couldn't get rid of the halo. I tried retouching, cloning etc.....my PS skills are not 100% or even 50% come to think of it.
Is the "halo" present in the original images? If it is, then it could be light from behind bouncing off the surface of the eye at a grazing angle, sort of like a hair light in portrait photography. In that case it's not a stacking artifact. If the halo is not present in the original images, then it also should not appear in a DMap output when the slider is adjusted so that unfocused background is ignored (goes black in preview).

--Rik

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi there Keifer,
Great shot. Love the picture, good job!
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Yousef Alhabshi

Post by Yousef Alhabshi »

Wow
What a clean stack you got there :) Great job

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Amazing!

Rogelio

Keifer

Post by Keifer »

Harald, Yousef & Rogelio - Thank you. :D

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Very nice, both the picture and the subject
Regards

abpho

Post by abpho »

Wow. That is one mean looking bug. Great stacking job.

Keifer

Post by Keifer »

Seta666 & abpho - Thank you for the kind comments.

Keifer

Post by Keifer »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Keifer wrote:I couldn't get rid of the halo. I tried retouching, cloning etc.....my PS skills are not 100% or even 50% come to think of it.
Is the "halo" present in the original images? If it is, then it could be light from behind bouncing off the surface of the eye at a grazing angle, sort of like a hair light in portrait photography. In that case it's not a stacking artifact. If the halo is not present in the original images, then it also should not appear in a DMap output when the slider is adjusted so that unfocused background is ignored (goes black in preview).

--Rik
The "halo" isn't present in any of the original images. I'm going to run the stack again and move the DMap slider around a bit....fingers crossed i can get rid of it. Thank you for the pointer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic