Bavenite

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

microcollector

Bavenite

Post by microcollector »

Bavenite from Poudrette quarry (Demix quarry; Uni-Mix quarry; Desourdy quarry; Carrière Mont Saint-Hilaire), Mont Saint-Hilaire, Rouville RCM, Montérégie, Québec, Canada
FOV = .47 mm
Image cropped from full frame. Stackedusing 250 frames of 350 frame set.

micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Bavenite - Ca4Be2Al2Si9O26(OH)
Ok, if you say so. :lol:
If you hadn't known the source, would you ever know, without highly technical analysis ?
Or is there somthing you can see which tells you?

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

ChrisR wrote:Bavenite - Ca4Be2Al2Si9O26(OH)
Ok, if you say so. :lol:
If you hadn't known the source, would you ever know, without highly technical analysis ?
Or is there somthing you can see which tells you?
Chris,

With over 3,000 known minerals, it can get tough. :wink: :shock: There are a lot of things to look for including the crystal form, associated minerals, hardness, streak, kind of rock that the mineral is in (including just in general kind if it is it an igneous, metamorphic, or sedimentary rock) ...

Rich

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

ChrisR

My source for the MSH material has been active in the research on the minerals found there. For the difficult to ID one the provided samples or similar ones were analyzed. In the case of tiny crystals like this, visual ID would be difficult at best. It helps somewhat that MSH has a number of different mineralogical environments. Each has its own suite of minerals although there is some overlap.

Some of the MSH specimens I have are from the type lots used to describe new mineral species.

Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic