Phyllomya volvulus at x3 and x5

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisRaper

Phyllomya volvulus at x3 and x5

Post by ChrisRaper »

Just been playing with the Nikkor EL 50mm f2.8 and a Schneider Componon 35mm f4 ... both pointed at a specimen of Phyllomya volvulus. Apologies for the dirt - just seeing what the lenses and my fingers are capable of ;)

Nikkor EL 50mm f2.8 (at f5.6) ... racked out to 110mm to give approximately x3 on the sensor:

Schneider Componon 35mm f4 (at f5.6) ... racked out to 120mm to give approximately x5 on the sensor:

They're not up to the same quality as some of you guys but I am quite happy with them - they're all part of my learning process :) I am moving the camera on a very cheap macro rail using only my arthritic fingers and having too great a step-size is clearly an issue with the x5 image because there are parts that are out of focus.

Lighting is still a problem but I will get it right - eventually! This was created using a SunPak ring-flash set to the right and a YN560 set on half power held above and in front of the foam cup. Camera is a Canon EOS 1000D.

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Very nice images Chris!

Yes, a precision method for micro-positioning your specimen (or camera) is essential. I am very happy with using a Newport XYZ translation stage in my vertically-oriented photo setup. A large-diameter high resolution micrometer head here makes it especially easy to adjust stage height. However, many other excellent methods for micro-positioning are in use by 'photomacrographers' as you know (with converted compound microscope stages being possibly most common). Also, I find use of an LED dome light is preferable to flash when processing large numbers of images for a project like your tachinid atlas. I have a Canon EOS 40D with 'Live View' to enable this type of lighting.

Cheers,

Eric

ChrisRaper

Post by ChrisRaper »

Thanks Eric ... I was particularly impressed with the resolution/clarity of the Schneider Componon 35mm ... if I can get the lighting better then it should prevent the flaring.

I thought about 'always on' lighting but I don't have a particularly stable setup here and I wasn't sure that I could guarantee that there wouldn't be any blurring caused by the mirror or just vibrations in the desk etc. The flash is harsh but it does freeze any movement and I can usually sort out most problems in PhotoShop - or tune the flash output and try again. :)

ChrisRaper

Post by ChrisRaper »

Just a thought ... does anyone know the f-stop sweet-spots for the Schneider Componon 35mm f4, at about 3x, 4x & 4x magnification?

Eric F

Post by Eric F »

Chris, I see you have the Canon EOS 1000D -- which does have the full Live View implementation, with EFSC (see here ). So, I believe that continuous lighting is worth a try with your setup (you can send me a pm for more info on the LED dome -- like Monty used).

I have a Schneider Componon 35mm/4 that I like very much. I use it in reverse (with a cheap Sonia 43-49 adapter) and prefer to shoot at f4. I particularly like this lens because it allows me to shoot high resolution photos at >5x with the dome (it has 30mm working distance -- the minimum I need with the dome). For example, at 225mm extension (= 6.5x) I shoot 0.025mm layers with a wd of 30mm -- with good results.

ChrisRaper

Post by ChrisRaper »

Thanks for the tips Eric ... Monty showed me his setup when he was here and it looks very impressive and simple. I think he was using it with a compact camera for his own photos but I remember how it worked so I could adapt it for the Canon EOS :)

I actually did a few more ambitious shots this evening, which came out quite well. I toned the background down with a little grey card and racked the Componon out to give 4x for these shots of flies that are about 2-3mm long. My bellows is only capable of 125mm but I could perhaps go further when I get a set of extension tubes ... I look forward to getting up to 6x magnification and having even more trouble! ;)

Cinochira atra:

Microsoma exiguum:

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Great shots Chris!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

madmacro

Hi chris

Post by madmacro »

Your shooting technics looks ok I think a good specimen contribute to a good picture as well, lighting is very important just try different ways and you are there.

ChrisRaper

Post by ChrisRaper »

Thanks for the comments :) Certainly, I have been concentrating more on getting the basic techniques refined and learning to use the equipment - rather than cleaning the specimens, which could be difficult/risky. Microsoma exiguum is very rare (as are many of the other species of tachinid) so the specimen was chosen for me by necessity ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic