Large Elephant Hawk-Moth Pupa

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Large Elephant Hawk-Moth Pupa

Post by Harold Gough »

I think that is the species, being about an inch long. I dug it up a few days ago when digging some previously undug ground in our garden. I took it into our conservatory and placed it on the bench to photograph it. I have brightened it more than the original to allow detail to be seen.

I seem to have missed the focus slightly on the first one but it is difficult to tell with a very dark pupa.

Dorsal view:

Lateral view:

Ventral vbiew:

Exif data not available.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Harold,

This is a classic subject for a focus stack, given the situation and circumstances. It would not require too many frames/slices.

I like the lighting, somewhat smooth, with regard to surface texture, but reasonably 'even' (on subject) nonetheless.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Craig Gerard wrote:Harold,

This is a classic subject for a focus stack, given the situation and circumstances. It would not require too many frames/slices.

I like the lighting, somewhat smooth, with regard to surface texture, but reasonably 'even' (on subject) nonetheless.
Thanks, Craig.

My new pet is sleeping in a small flower pot next to my desk. It seems like a good idea to take some shots for potential stacking. Easier than with the adult!

One of the reasons I used the conservatory is that it faces approximately east, with some light from the south, such that it has some flavour of classic artists' studio lighting. The pupa was orientated with its long axis N/S.

Harold

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

So, Deilephila elpenor?

In my area, a pupa that looks like this could also come from an "elephant sphinx", but it would be Pachysphinx occidentalis, also known as the Big Poplar Sphinx. When I had a weeping willow tree, it was a reliable source of larvae. Great fun to raise those with small children!

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Yes, Rik.

Each year, for several years, I would either find a single larva feeding on a Rosebay Willowherb Epilobium angustifolium or Great Willowherb E. hirsutum weed, or find a mature one marching across our grassy garden path on its way to pupate. There as been a gap of 2-3 years when I have not seen them. I have photographs on film.

We also have lots of the related Evening Primrose Oenathera in our garden, a potential food plant which never seems to attract them.

We have a frightenly tall Weeping Willow, leaning at a somewhat alarming angle, and with most of the branches (due to a previous owner's unwise lopping) on the downward side. One large branch (weight 1 ton +?) broke last year but is hanging out of reach, pivotting on the break and dead beyond it. Being over 20 feet up, no ordinary ladder will reach this, the lowest branch. The willow has a preservation order on it. I don't know why, as it is not a native species. Thankfully, it is near the bottom of the garden, some 250 feet from the house. I have yet to find any interesting insects associated with it.

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic