Western Pygmy Blue Butterfly

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yousef Alhabshi

Western Pygmy Blue Butterfly

Post by Yousef Alhabshi »

Hi everyone,
I came across this forum while searching for some microscopy photos out on the net. To be honest i was amazed with the over all quality/skills/knowledges of the members here & i'm looking to learn from you guys :wink:

I start photography almost by the beginning of 2010 & found myself really into Macro field. looking to learn more about microscopy...

here is my shot..

This butterfly is less than 1cm in length. I used Nikon D90, Sigma 150 F2.8, Sigma Teleconverter 2X, Tripod & wired remote.
This shot is a stack of 10 shots using CombineZP & taken manually using the focus ring on the lens.

I hope you accept me as a new member here.
& apology for my poor English :oops:

cheers,
Yousef

Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Yousef,

Your English isn't bad I would say -
And your photograph is excellent!
Incredible that this butterfly sat still so you could make 10 shots.

Regards,
Barry

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yousef, welcome aboard! :D

Barry, I suspect this butterfly is chilled or knocked out by chemicals, if not dead. The position of the legs is typical for those conditions, and very unusual for a live and awake subject at rest.

Yousef, have I figured this out correctly? If so, then please let us know the details. The eyes look alive or at least very fresh. If you have figured out how to do this without injuring the butterfly, I'm sure there are several people who would like to know also.

By the way, it is completely OK at photomacrography.net to photograph "mounted" specimens that look alive and in normal condition even though they are not. However, for mounted specimens we do require that the post mentions that fact. It is like the difference between photographing a bird in flight, and a taxidermy specimen mounted to look like it is flying.

Again, welcome aboard!

--Rik

PS. I agree with Barry -- your English seems quite good.

Yousef Alhabshi

Thank you Barry..
10 shots out of 400!! :wink:
the thing is since it was so small i couldn't notice her legs moments while i was moving the focusing ring!! even the tinniest movement will ruined the set for stacking!!

===

Hi Rik,
Will, yes it was alive while i was taking her shots..
didn't use any chemicals either.. it's just i believe i learn i few trick on how to deal with butterflies where it would be the easiest insects to deal with..

Of course i might be wrong but at least it works fine with me!
as you know butterflies are so sensitive to light.. & in no light condition they barely move or fly! that's why photographing butterflies at night is the best time..

i took this shot in my little studio while the room was completely dark. This trick won't applied on all butterflies therefore you have to leave them like for 24 hours with any food so they'll get exhausted & much easier to control.

Here's other shots with the MP-E65 for the same butterfly after i finish photographing her just to show you that it was alive 8)

here's the butterfly while drinking from my finger which was soaked with apple juice :D

& here when i put her again on the flower

No worries.. i would certainly mention it if it was dead.. although & till now i never happened to shoots dead insects.

Seems i have to if i'm going for microscopy..but let's not rush to that level for now...

Cheers,

Yousef

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Yousef Alhabshi wrote:i took this shot in my little studio while the room was completely dark. This trick won't applied on all butterflies therefore you have to leave them like for 24 hours with any food so they'll get exhausted & much easier to control.
Aha! An excellent trick! So the butterfly was alive, just asleep...very clever...

More questions, then... Did the butterfly fall asleep on that blossom with its legs in that unusual position? Or did you place it that way while it was asleep? Is it actually supporting itself with wings upright on those feet so close together?

--Rik

Yousef Alhabshi

I don't believe it was sleeping as i mentioned to Barry before it was moving it's legs during the shots.

All i did was i let her stepped on my finger.. & then slowly i moved the flower in front of it so it won't get any place to go but to climb the blossoms of that flower. Once it climmbed gently i hold the flower with a tongs & start taking shots. It stayed like this for almost an hour with some legs movements.

As for the legs position i agree it was unusual & i never took any shots for other butterflies in the same pose. The only time i can see a butterflt in that pose is when it's dead!!

For sleeping.. i have a small net wall where butterflies can sleep on it.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Yousef,

Well done and welcome :)

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Thank you for the further information!

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Yousef, welcome to the community!

I like your image, and learned a couple of useful tricks from you. Nice way to start!

And I agree with the others--your English is just fine.

Cheers,

--Chris

Yousef Alhabshi

Craig - Chris
Thank you guys & appreciate your encouragements :D

Rik
You're most welcome

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic