Chrysophora chrysochlora (Shining Leaf Chafer Beetle)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Chrysophora chrysochlora (Shining Leaf Chafer Beetle)

Post by Charles Krebs »

A couple of "detail" shots.

Minolta 100/4 bellows lens, Exakta bellows, Canon 50D.

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

beautiful shots and nice control of lighting for that kind of metallic insect!

thanks for sharing

Martin

jgknight

Post by jgknight »

Incredible detail in these shots. Simply brilliant.
John

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times the memory.

jotafoto

Post by jotafoto »

Both are perfect Charles, and the elegance that characterizes you. The first is wonderfull. Thanks for sharing.

Got the specimens with such good condition? Or do you have that much retouching photos?. Insects such I always see flaws, scratches on the surfaces (the accumulating throughout his life), dirt, etc. Do you have any tips for staging?. Do you wash with a product?

Greetings

Javier

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks all!

Javier,
This one was missing a few pieces (antenna, front leg) so that is why I concentrated on "details" :wink: . It was also extremely dirty. I "simmered" it in hot water for about 15 minutes and let it sit in the water until the joints moved freely. Then a few drops of dish-washing soap was added as it was rinsed under warm running water and brushed lightly with an artist paint brush. Then I spend some time under the stereo microscope with sharpened toothpicks and very fine tweezers trying to remove the more embedded dirt. Rinse again. (Even then, I did not get all the dirt off!). While cleaning under the stereo microscope I examine the specimen carefully to decide what sections to photograph, and from what angle.

Here's an additional shot... a wonderful piece of natural "machinery":

35/4 Schneider Componon reversed on Exakta bellows. Canon 50D. 25 image stack with Zerene Stacker

jotafoto

Post by jotafoto »

Thanks Charles. This is what I imagined. It is a way of working which I share. I always thought that the secret of these pictures is to be meticulously clean before taking the pictures. Lately people rely too much on PS, and this is a tool, not the solution to all problems.
I note for the next photo.
Very good detail of the claw
greetings

Javier.

morfa

Post by morfa »

Beautiful images – I like the last one in particular! And thanks for the insight into the "pre-shooting" stage of the process.

seta666

Post by seta666 »

Those are beautifull pictures; thanks for sharing the working method . Javier allways tells me I should be more carefull in this regard. Every time I do a shot I find some dust or anoying stuff I did not notice before shooting. I will try to be more carefull from now.
Regards

thartl

Post by thartl »

Man - I had no idea anyone would put that much effort into the cleaning of an insect. I don't have a stereo microscrope, but I better start cleaning my subjects better!
Tyler

Still Learning!

Joaquim F.

Post by Joaquim F. »

morfa wrote:Beautiful images – I like the last one in particular! And thanks for the insight into the "pre-shooting" stage of the process.
I agree!

greetings

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Charlie,

Outstanding images :)

The Minolta 100/4 is this the conical 5 element version? Could you indicate the serial number?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Craig,

Yes, the last version Minolta made, with the tapered front. (I'll need to get the serial number tomorrow).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic