My first set of pictures on this site

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JSkory

My first set of pictures on this site

Post by JSkory »

Hi all. I posted a brief intro in the Community Members and Friends area yesterday and thought I would add a few of my recent photos here. These are all taken with a Parco Scientific stereo microscope with a 28MP camera attached to it. Still learning and having a riot.

I have this labeled as a midge but I actually think it may be some type of crane fly after some research. (27 images stacked with Helicon)
and as you can tell from his eyes he is not the freshest of subjects.

Just finished taking pictures of this little guy standing in his web. (45 images)
He is about 1/4" long.

and here is that same guy from a few days back to show off his pretty colors. (27 images)

And here is one of the first pictures I took shortly after getting my microscope. A dead stink bug I found in the house. But still has beautiful colors!
(Not sure how many images - and I think I stacked it with CombineZP before I purchased Helicon)

Just wanted to let you know that this site rocks. An awful lot of very knowledgeable, talented, and friendly people.

Question about posting the photos: I am adding links to the photos on my personal blog where I have fairly large size pictures stored (e.g. 2251 x 1340). Are these too large for most people or is it ok the way it is?
If they need to be smaller I can probably store different sizes on my blog and link to the smaller ones.

MarkSturtevant

Re: My first set of pictures on this site

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Interesting stuff! Thank you for sharing. The fly in the first picture seems to be a gnat, recognizable to be in that general vicinity with its long antennae.
It is perhaps a fungus gnat, suggested by the distinctive form of the antenna segments. Something close to this: https://bugguide.net/node/view/1777065
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

JSkory

Post by JSkory »

Thanks Mark. The picture you referenced definitely resembles it.

Hugo52

Post by Hugo52 »

I like this very much, am just started also.
There is a lot to find out.
Regards Hugo Amsterdam

JSkory

Post by JSkory »

Thanks Hugo. There’s definitely a very exciting world to explore out there. Can’t wait until spring when the insects come back out. It will be much easier to find fresh subjects to look at.

Hugo52

Post by Hugo52 »

Are you using a Trinocular microscope?
Regards Hugo

JSkory

Post by JSkory »

Hi Hugo. I have a trinocular stereo zoom microscope on an arm. Very similar to what you can find from AmScope. Here is a recent picture.

In the foreground is an old compound microscope I purchased so I could use its stage and coarse and fine focus knobs for moving the specimen between pictures. It’s still a work in progress regarding lights, diffusers, and the actual specimen holder.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic