Hot Spring Dragonflies

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

Hot Spring Dragonflies

Post by svalley »

The Alvord Basin in Southeastern Oregon has many geothermal hot springs that are colonized by dragonflies that are normally found in the desert Southwestern U.S. Obviously their larvae cannot survive in habitat where the water is too hot, but they do quite well in water that is cool enough to put your hand in.

One very surprising adaptation is that the larvae survive in water that is highly alkaline and that contains high levels of toxic minerals like Borax and Arsenic.

#1 Libellula comanche, Comanche Skimmer, male, at Borax Lake. The bluish color is a waxy, powdery substance called pruinosity that covers the underlying color of the males when they are sexually mature. You can tell that this male has mated by the pruinosity that has been rubbed off his abdomen by the female's legs.
#1 D700, Sigma 180mm macro w/2x teleconverter, 1/750 sec @ f22, ISO 6400, available light, handheld.

#2 Libellula comanche, Comanche skimmer, copulating pair, at Borax Lake. The color and patterns on the male are very similar to those of the female before he acquires his pruinosity
#2 D700, Sigma 180mm macro w/2x teleconverter, 1/320 sec @ f32, ISO 6400, available light, handheld.

#3 Libellula comanche, Comanche Skimmer, female, ovipositing at Borax Lake. This is not sharp but I think it conveys a feeling of motion.
#3 D700, Sigma 180mm macro w/2x teleconverter, 1/250 sec @ f32, ISO 6400, available light, handheld.

#4 Libellula nodisticta, Hoary Skimmer, male, at Twin Hot Springs.
#4 D700, Sigma 180mm macro w/2x teleconverter, 1/500 sec @ f32, ISO 6400, available light, handheld.

#5 Plathemis subornata, Desert Whitetail, immature male, at Mickey Hot Springs. When this male is mature he will have bright white pruinosity covering the upper surface of the abdomen and the dark patches on the distal half of the wings will merge into one large patch.
#5 D700, Sigma 180mm macro w/2x teleconverter, 1/640 sec @ f22, ISO 6400, available light, handheld.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

Steve
Last edited by svalley on Mon May 31, 2010 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Lovely images.

Thanks for sharing.

Anvancy
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

The BAT

Post by The BAT »

180mm macro with 2X T/C, ISO 6400, F Stops of 22 & 32, hand held in available light. . . any more 'handicaps' that you would like to incur before your next session. . . :?
That's one hell of a result my friend. . . :wink:

Bruce

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Aside from the larvae surviving in borax and arsnic, I would imagine the water to be pretty anoxic also at such temperatures. Pretty tough little critters the larvae they are, could they be regarded as being extremeophiles? Great photos. :D

Cyberspider

Post by Cyberspider »

very hard light you had. the background is structured that I wish more isolation. Great shots
best regards
Markus

SONY a6000, Sigma 150mm 2,8 Makro HSM, Extention Tubes, Raynox DCR-250

visit me on flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic