Unidentified bug with a cute nose

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Iainp

Unidentified bug with a cute nose

Post by Iainp »

When I put the rubbish out the other day, this little fellow was on the bins looking up at me:

Nikon D60 with Tamron 90mm Macro

P_T

Post by P_T »

Looks like weevil, cute nose indeed. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Definitely gives the impression of a weevil, family Curculionidae, the "snout beetles".

But when I look closely at the front of this beast, I think that the parts sticking forward are two antennae, arising from between the eyes. I don't think it really has any snout that I can see. This is not to say that it's definitely a different family, just that it's an odd critter in any case.

Perhaps someone else recognizes it more specifically?

--Rik

elf

Re: Unidentified bug with a cute nose

Post by elf »

Iainp wrote:When I put the rubbish out the other day, this little fellow was on the bins looking up at me:

\
You're the first person I've ever heard of that takes their camera along when putting out the rubbish :)

p.s. Nice shots of a cute insect.

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

Thanks all. Yes, my new Tamron Macro 90mm makes me feel like a proper macrophotographer now, and I really do carry it with me everywhere!

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

rjlittlefield wrote:But when I look closely at the front of this beast, I think that the parts sticking forward are two antennae, arising from between the eyes. I don't think it really has any snout that I can see. This is not to say that it's definitely a different family, just that it's an odd critter in any case.

Perhaps someone else recognizes it more specifically?

--Rik
What a poor critter! That's definitely a weevil, but the snout is broken off. That is the genus Curculio (probably C. glandium)and they usually have a very long snout with the antennae originating at about half-length of the snout. So what Rik seems to see here are definitely not antennae but the basal stump of the snout. I wonder in what accident that poor guy was involved.

Was that beetle still alive?

Cheers
Harry

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

I love weevils, they look so comical!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

Ah that's why I couldn't find him in my book!

Yes he was very much alive, before and after the photo-shoot.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Ahh yes I think Harry (Rovebeetle) has nailed it, I was going to say the same thing myself last night but I wasn't sure, and knowing how diverse the weevil group is I thought I might be wrong.

I suspect this fella should look like this: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ght=weevil

and a closer up view I shot some time ago of a similar weevil, though this one does not include the whole snout: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ght=weevil

Iainp

Post by Iainp »

Wow Lauriek, superb images!

Yes that's him I'm sure; I saw something that looked exactly like this on the bin at the same time, but he scuttled away before I could get a photo, perhaps he was the one responsible for the injuries to this one :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

rovebeetle wrote:So what Rik seems to see here are definitely not antennae but the basal stump of the snout.
Excellent -- many thanks for the insight.

That possibility did not even occur to me.

I was locked into making sense of what I could see, with the implicit assumption that the subject was undamaged.

It's those things you don't know you don't know, that will get you into trouble!

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

The shape and texture of the body and legs can only be of a weevil.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic