Backyard Series #62 (flash or no flash?)

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Michigan Michael

Backyard Series #62 (flash or no flash?)

Post by Michigan Michael »

Here are 2 similar bees on 2 similar flowers. One taken with flash, one without.

Michael

D200, D300, or D2x
with
60mm Nikkor, 105mm VR Nikkor, or 180mm Sigma

P_T

Post by P_T »

I'd say the first one was taken with flash and I think it looks better than the second photo.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

You didn't say what the weather was doing! :D First one could be bright sunlight, second one could be with diffused flash.

I know all about bright sunlight as it wreeks havoc on shots like this both with the bee and the echinacea.

Second one could also be done with no flash on a dull cloudy day, though I suspect not as the echinacea is a bit bright.

Perhaps it's not echinacea - I have the purple ones not the white ones so I don't know.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Unless you set out to deliberately fool us then no1 is definitely the flash shot. Are you using two flash units as there appear to be two distinct catchlights...

In this case I prefer the second image. I do normally prefer natural light to flash, but then again it /is/ possible to balance the two and use flash to enhance daylight rather than blasting over the top of it (not suggesting that's what you've done here, quite a nice job actually!)

I think the reason I prefer the second image is not to do with flash vs no flash, I think the bee is just in a better position, and the background is cleaner... I suspect at full size the flash shot might have more detail though!

Michigan Michael

Sorry, I didn't intend to confuse anyone. The 1st shot was done with "fill" flash. The 2nd photo was taken on a bright cloudy day with no flash.

Michigan Michael

lauriek wrote:.Are you using two flash units as there appear to be two distinct catchlights...
Yes, a Nikon macro flash with 2 lights.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic