SteelBlue Ladybird and two others, extra pic below.

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

P_T

SteelBlue Ladybird and two others, extra pic below.

Post by P_T »

Ok, the first one is so reflective and just wouldn't stay still. Add a windy day into the equation and this is the best photo I managed to take. I don't know what kind of beetle it is, some ID would be awesome.

Next one is the typical Ladybird I think. Still very pretty though.

Now this beetle is very similar to that fungus eating Ladybird except there's no pattern on the exoskeleton and it's a bit hairy. It is also face to face with a Jumper.
Last edited by P_T on Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

Hi P_T!

They are all ladybirds. The iridescent colors of the first one are mind-boggling.

The last one belongs the subfamily Scymninae which are all small, hairy and a nightmare for taxonomists :) . Phantastic snap shot - BTW.

Cheers
Harry

P_T

Post by P_T »

Thanks Harry!!

See the thing is, the exoskeleton of the first Ladybird is not so much iridescent as it is reflective. It was like a walking mirror ball. See the lowest pattern on the shell is actually a reflection of a leaf. I swear I could almost see myself reflected through the viewfinder. :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Brilliant pics P T!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Michigan Michael

Post by Michigan Michael »

Here in mid-west USA we call them "ladybugs". "Ladybird" seems like strange nomenclature for an insect. :o

P_T

Post by P_T »

Michigan Michael wrote:Here in mid-west USA we call them "ladybugs". "Ladybird" seems like strange nomenclature for an insect. :o
Hehe.. calling an entired species "lady" is already strange don't you think? :D

I found out what it is. It's a Steelblue Ladybird. It eats scale insects and aphids.

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_ladyb ... elblue.htm

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Some interesting ladybirds there in the land of Oz. I particularly like the furry one. :)

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

"Land of Oz?" :shock: :lol: Lady Birds/Bugs what ever one wishes to call them, are very beneficial in ones garden but can become a pest during the colder months. Seems as though when the weather turns chilly, Lady Bugs/Birds love to come indoors where it is warm and they sometimes can stink! :lol:

Good shots there P_T :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic