common Wasp-3 pics

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Betty used 'Dolichovespula' in this thread as an ID for one of my wasp stacks.. http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=5373

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

The facial markings and body pattern indicate a worker Common Wasp Vespula vulgaris

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

NikonUser, welcome aboard! :D

I gather you're pretty familiar with these wasps.

I've never known what to look for, to make a specific ID.

Perhaps you can tell me, is there a key for this group available somewhere online or for download?

Thanks!

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

It may be that there are two species in the three pictures. The first two may be vulgaris with the dark bands on the abdominal tergites more developed than usual. The third is marked more like norvegica.

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Harold Gough wrote:It may be that there are two species in the three pictures. The first two may be vulgaris with the dark bands on the abdominal tergites more developed than usual. The third is marked more like germanica.

Harold
(Thanks Rik for the welcome :wink:)

I assumed that the photos were 1 specimen; so you may be correct. However, I can see the 'anchor-shaped' black mark on the face of the 2nd image, and I think I see it on the first. The body pattern (and the variation) of a worker vulgaris and a worker germanica are practically identical. They are best separated by facial markings - mostly yellow in germanica with just 3 small black spots. I think I can see the top of the black anchor mark in image #3.
Interesting photos but not particularly useful for diagnosing a species or species; I commented only because I didn't think the body pattern looked like media.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I had made a similar assumption.

There is no getting away from the need, except for some very recognisable species, to retain the individual(s) photographed for as long as required to establish their exact identity. This assumes that the photographer requires a name for a caption or other purposes.

Harold

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Here are some pictures:

http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/ejou ... garis.html

My earlier reference to germanica should have been to norvegica and has been corrected

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic