Backyard Time Killing

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

Backyard Time Killing

Post by AlP »

This morning's misadventure. I was out trying my Yongnuo twin macro light this morning. I am trying some different diffusion other than printer paper over the flash heads. This image (bee on buttercup) is in ETTL which I think does a pretty good job. I never use ETTL and thought I'd give it a try with balancing with the background. This image is done in shade. Canon 1Dx and Canon 180mm macro, 1/250, ISO 400 and f11. One thing I noticed, if I change the ISO on the camera, the flash will not fire in ETTL. I have to turn the flash off/on for it to work again. If I change shutter speed or f/stop, no issue. Is this common with the Yongnuo YN24EX for those of you who use one?
bee on buttercup copy 1024.jpg
Second image (wasp on goutweed) same setup as above except f13 in sunlight with flash set in manual power at 1/64th power on each side 1-1. Oh, in manual flash, if I change the ISO, it'll flash. I can see the flash heads in the wasp's eye.
wasp on goutweed copy 1024.jpg
This afternoon's misadventure. An ant taken with a Canon 1D MK III, Canon 180mm macro and a 1.4 extender (effective focal length 252mm) and Yongnuo twin macro light on ETTL with the previous images diffusion. Settings 1/320, f7.1 and ISO 400. Funny as I went up/down with the ISO's on this camera I didn't have to turn the flash off/on... weird.
ant 180mm w 1.4 ext copy 1024.jpg
Bee and a buttercup. I am a little slow in macro follow focus currently. Same rig as previous image above, 1/320, f25, ISO 2000.
bee n buttercup copy 1024.jpg
Well, nuthin' exciting but it is a nice day to use a couple of pieces of equipment (Canon 1D MK III and Yongnuo twin macro light) that hasn't been used in a couple of years.

MarkSturtevant

Re: Backyard Time Killing

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very good pictures.
In your rig, set to ETTL, what does the meter indicate when you press the shutter halfway down? If its already reading that there is enough light to take an exposure, maybe it won't trip the flash as that would overexpose it.
Another vague hand-wavy suggestion is to look for a firmware update for the flash. Here is something I found: https://www.yongnuorumors.com/firmware/
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

AlP

Re: Backyard Time Killing

Post by AlP »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:21 pm
Very good pictures.
In your rig, set to ETTL, what does the meter indicate when you press the shutter halfway down? If its already reading that there is enough light to take an exposure, maybe it won't trip the flash as that would overexpose it.
Another vague hand-wavy suggestion is to look for a firmware update for the flash. Here is something I found: https://www.yongnuorumors.com/firmware/
I was using it as fill flash on both the 1Dx and 1D MK III. When I went from shade to sun or vice versa, dropping/raising the ISO on the 1Dx it wouldn't fire unless I turned the flash off/on again. On the 1D MK III it would fire. It isn't a real big issue for me, just annoying for me yesterday. Thanx for the link you posted, I'll see what the "new" firmware is all about if I haven't already got it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic