Some Hemipterans

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

Some Hemipterans

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Speckled sharpshooter leafhopper, Paraulacizes irrorata.
ImageLeafhopper by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Treehopper, Entylia carinata, attended by ants who are seeking to get some honeydew secretions from it. I struggle with identifying some ants, but these look like Prenolepis imparis, the false honeypot ant. They often collect lots of sugary liquids from Hemipterans, or fallen fruit, and their abdomens can become quite engorged -- like a honeypot.
The picture was heavily worked. There were so many ants, in constant motion, that I couldn't get a picture where the treehopper was mostly visible. So this picture is a composite of several pictures, blended together with layer masks to remove most of the ants and to show more of the treehopper. I believe I can also remove the ant in the upper left, and maybe I will one day get around to it.
ImageTreeHopper attended by ants by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Thread legged bug, Emesaya brevipennis. These large-ish walking stick-like predatory Hemipterans are incredibly leggy and weird. When sitting still, they eventually take on this pose where their mantis-like fore-legs are positioned as shown. They are actually a kind of assassin bug. I found this one at our porch light, and brought it in for staged pictures. This picture is stitched together from 3 different pictures of different areas.
ImageThread-legged bug by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Adalbert

Re: Some Hemipterans

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic