Another Critter Mix Part V

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Another Critter Mix Part V

Post by Dalantech »

This is a 4x shot of a Swallowtail Butterfly (Papilio machaon) that I raised from a kit. After photographing the critter I released her into my yard. Image taken in Bacoli, Italy in May of 2020.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 4x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSwallowtail Portrait by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I was really surprised to find this tiny solitary bee in a Dandelion this time of year. The weather had also been terrible for a few days, but the sun came out so I went looking for something to point the camera at.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. Shutter and ISO set to expose for the blue sky behind the Dandelion.

ImagePollen Covered Solitary Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This is how I would normally see Sweat Bees bedding down in my Geranium flowers, snoozing between the petals.

Possibly Halictus sexcinctus.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee in a Geranium Flower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This Preying Mantis was taking deep dives into my Lavender to hunt the moths and other insects that take refuge in it. I took this shot by focusing on the critter's mouth parts and then twisted my wrist (the one holding the camera) to push the area of acceptable focus deeper into the top of the frame.

Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in September of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/200, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to almost 3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageMantis Portrait IV by John Kimbler, on Flickr

It is pretty common for solitary bees to feel the heat coming off of my hand, on cool mornings, and climb onto them to get warm. This Sweat Bee is trying to thaw out so it can start its day.

Possibly Halictus sexcinctus.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee on My Finger by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Sumguy01

Re: Another Critter Mix Part V

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Nice set.
Thanks for sharing.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

Dalantech