Another Critter Mix Part IV

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Another Critter Mix Part IV

Post by Dalantech »

Cool, partly cloudy weather makes the perfect conditions to photograph small solitary bees. I found this Mining Bee foraging in a Dandelion. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in April of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. ISO and shutter set to expose for the natural light in the background.

ImagePollen Covered Mining Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

A Hairy Footed Bee was a rare visitor to my yard when I lived in Bacoli, Italy and I have yet to see them in Lago Patria. Image taken in March of 2020.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (3x) + a diffused MT-26EX RT (E-TTL metering with -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageHairy Footed Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This Female Sweat Bee is anchoring herself with her mandibles while she uses her front legs to strip pollen off of Sour Grass anthers and pack it around her back legs and abdomen. It is easier to take images like this one on windy days because the vibration induced by the breeze masks the vibration I cause when I grab onto the stem of the flower. Image taken in Bacoli, Italy in April of 2020.

Halictidae Lasioglossum

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageForaging Sweat Bee II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I asked my wife if she saw the Crab Spider and she said no. I told her not to feel bad about it because the Hoverfly did not see it either.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F13, 1/125, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to roughly 1.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order. Shutter and ISO set to expose for the natural light in the background.

ImageCrab Spider Feeding on a Hoverfly by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Cool, partly cloudy weather makes the perfect conditions to photograph small solitary bees. I found this female Mining Bee foraging for pollen in a Dandelion. Image taken in April of 2021 in Lago Patria, Italy.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to almost 4x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageForaging Mining Bee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

MarkSturtevant

Re: Another Critter Mix Part IV

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Another excellent set!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Re: Another Critter Mix Part IV

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:02 pm