Another Critter Mix Part III

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Another Critter Mix Part III

Post by Dalantech »

The way I took this shot of these mating 22 Spot Ladybugs in a single frame was to focus on the eyes of the female and then twist my wrist to lay the area of acceptable focus over the male. With a scene like that one the eyes of both critters must be in focus, or the composition won't work. Tricky to do since the female would occasionally move and the male will sometimes wiggle his backside. Not gonna lie, I missed focus a few times cause he made me laugh :)

Psyllobora vigintiduopunctata

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 200) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to about 2.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX RT (E-TTL metering with -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageMating 22 Spot Ladybugs by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Last year I bought a kit so I could raise some Swallowtail Butterflies (Papilio machaon). The critter was so cooperative that I am still editing images from a single photo session. Image taken in Bacoli, Italy in May of 2020.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to around 3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSwallowtail Portrait by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This Preying Mantis has been taking deep dives into my Lavender to hunt the moths and other insects that take refuge in it. I took this shot by focusing on the critter's mouth parts and then twisted my wrist (the one holding the camera) to push the area of acceptable focus deeper into the top of the frame.

Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in September of 2021.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageMantis Portrait III by John Kimbler, on Flickr

As this Sweat Bee was waking up it would walk around a Geranium Petal, and when it paused I looked for a composition. They are called Sweat Bees because some of them are attracted to the minerals in your sweat. Image taken in Lago Patria, Italy in August of 2021.

Possibly Halictus sexcinctus.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F14, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (set to over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee on a Geranium Petal by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This time at about 3x:

ImageSweat Bee on a Geranium Petal II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Adalbert

Re: Another Critter Mix Part III

Post by Adalbert »

very nice :smt041

Dalantech

Re: Another Critter Mix Part III

Post by Dalantech »

Adalbert wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 am